Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 21 March 1968
English Heritage Building ID: 257678
OS Grid Reference: SO3634878249
OS Grid Coordinates: 336348, 278249
Latitude/Longitude: 52.3985, -2.9369
HOPTON CASTLE C..P. HOPTON CASTLE
SO 37 NE
8/171 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1870-1 by T. Nicholson on medieval site. Roughly coursed
rock-faced limestone rubble with chamfered plinth and ashlar dressings; graded
slate roofs with ornamental cresting and foliated iron crosses to gables.
Nave with west bellcote, chancel, south porch and north vestry; Decorated
style. Nave in 3 bays with broad cusped lancet to centre and window of 2
cusped lights with head-stops and quatrefoil above in gable breaking eaves
to right. Gabled porch in west bay has moulded ogee arch to outer tie beam
and rubblestone side walls; Decorated-style south doorway with hoodmould and
head-stops. Gabled external west bellcote has twin cusped openings housing
bells and stone crosses to east and west sides; shaft supporting it has tall
cusped lancet with hoodmould and head-stops. North side similar to south
without porch but plus integral stone stack with octagonal shaft to north-
east corner. Chancel. South side has broad trefoil-headed lancets with
continuous moulded cill band. East window of 3 cusped lights with 2 quatre-
foils flanking central sexfoil has hoodmould and head-stops. North side
has trefoil-headed lancet with lean-to vestry to west. This has trefoil-
headed doorway on north and broad cusped lancets to east and west. Interior.
Trussed rafter roof with scissor bracing in 12 short bays to nave with trusses
to either side of easternmost windows resting on carved stone corbels; similar
roof in 9 bays to chancel. Pointed chancel arch has hoodmould with head-
stops and elaborately carved Byzantine-style corbelled responds. Fittings
and furnishings including pews, choir stalls, elaborately carved stone pulpit
and font, encaustic tiles to floor and reredos and harmonium all apparently
of roughly the same date. Stained glass in east window in memory of Henry
Yelverton Beale (died 1869) with similar glass in other chancel windows.
No monuments of note. Originally a dependent chapelry of Clun, Hopton Castle
became a separate parish in C13. B.o.E. p. 153; D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches
of Shropshire, Part 5 (1901) p. 402.
Listing NGR: SO3634878249
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.