British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

White Abbey and Section of Wall Adjoining to East, Alberbury with Cardeston

Description: White Abbey and Section of Wall Adjoining to East

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 29 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 258915

OS Grid Reference: SJ3754515222
OS Grid Coordinates: 337545, 315222
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7310, -2.9263

Locality: Alberbury with Cardeston
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY5 9AF

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

2/10 White Abbey
29.1.52 and section of wall
adjoining to east
(formerly listed as White

- II*

Grandmontine Priory, remains of, now farmhouse. Circa 1225, converted
into a house in c.1578 and remodelled in 1857-8. Coursed Alberbury
breccia and red sandstone rubble, C19 red brick; C13 red sandstone dressings
and C19 grey sandstone dressings; plain tile roof, with 2 parallel gabled
wings at rear. The priory consisted of nave and square ended choir with
the former chapel of St Stephen of 3 bays to the north and the cloisters
to the south; the farmhouse incorporates the central section of the church
(minus the east and west ends) and the former chapel of St Stephen;
C19 remodelling in a Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys and attic. Chamfered
plinth to north and centre of south front, and parapeted gables with chamfered
copings and shaped kneelers; two C19 brick ridge stacks to rear, one with
4 square shafts and one with single shaft. West (entrance) front: 3 windows;
C19 wooden cross-windows with chamfered reveals and returned hoodmoulds;
1:2:1 canted bay window to right with chamfered stone mullions and plain tile
roof; former west doorway to chapel of St Stephen to left with continuous
roll moulding and inserted early C19 two-light window with Y-tracery; central
6-panelled door has fanlight with Y-tracery, moulded pointed arch with
quatrefoil and mouchette panels in spandrels and returned square
hoodmould. Blocked first-floor slit window to internal newel stair at
left. The left-hand part of this front is the former west front of the
Chapel of St Stephen and the right-hand part is a section through the nave
of the former priory church (see straight joints). South (garden) front:
1:2 windows; C19 wooden cross-casements with chamfered reveals and returned
hoodmoulds, one-light attic window in gable to left; probable rear-arch
to former sacristy door at right has inserted late C18 or early C19 glazing
bar sash with intersecting Gothic tracery; former doorway to cloister
at left has one order of shafts with stiff-leaf capitals (shafts missing),
moulded reveals, triple moulded arch and chamfered inner arch with inserted
C19 two-light Gothic window. North front: north side of former chapel;
3 buttresses with chamfered offsets; projecting 2-storey stair tower
to right with rounded squinch over angle to left; blocked east window of
chapel has one order of shafts with moulded bases and capitals (shafts
missing), chamfered reveals and moulded arch. Short piece of rubblestone
walling adjoining south front to east is part of the south wall of the
former east end of the church; it has some later brick patching and some
reused stones (see part of moulded arch). Interior: former Chapel of St Stephen:
quadripartite stone vaulting with chamfered ribs springing from shafts with
moulded capitals(some shafts missing), carved bosses (that to east with the
Agnus Dei, that in the centre with a man's head, and that to west with a
man devoured by a winged monster); former east window has nook shafts
with moulded capitals, and straight-sided chamfered rear arch; former
double piscina with moulded trefoiled-arch and chamfered cill; former south
doorway (into nave) has continuously-moulded arch and returned hoodmould;
north-east newel stair, probably formerly leading to the space above the
vaulting, now to the attic; former chapel with inserted stack and ceiling
with chamfered beams, probably of c.1578. Founded by Fulk Fitz Warin III
as a house of Arrouaisian Canons and begun between 1221 and 1226.Alberbury
Priory was eventually transferred to the Grandmontine Order and became
one of only 3 in the country, dependant on the Abbey of Grandmontine in
Limousin, France. Along with other alien priories during the French
wars Alberbury was siezed by Edward III in 1337. The surviving chantries
were eventually suppressed in 1547. The remains of the priory stand in
a large moated site by the River Severn. No other buildings survive. The
site of the church was excavated in 1925. V.C.H., Vol II, pp. 47-50 and
Vol VIII, pp. 198, 200, 206, and 213-4; B.O.E., p. 55; Trans. Salop.
Arch. Soc., 4th series, Vol. XI (1928); Archaelogia, Vol. 75 (1926),
Colin Platt, The Abbeys and Priories of Medieval England (1984), pp. 24-5.

Listing NGR: SJ3754515222

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.