Description: Churchyard Gates and Gate Pier Approximately 44 Metres to South of Church of St Michael
Date Listed: 18 March 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 258962
OS Grid Reference: SJ4123413804
OS Grid Coordinates: 341234, 313804
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7187, -2.8714
SJ 4013-4113 FORD C.P. FORD
13/57 Churchyard gates and
- gate piers approx.
44 metres to south of
Church of St. Michael
Churchyard gates and gate piers. Circa 1861. Pair of painted cast iron
gates; 2:1 proportions; dog rails,intersecting Perpendicular-style
panelled tracery, and crested top rails; pair of monolithic red sandstone
square gate piers, dressed to represent rock-faced blocks, with low
pyramidal caps; wrought iron overthrow with scrolled decoration and central
lamp. The gates were given by Sir Baldwin Leighton of Loton Park (qv) on
condition that the inhabitants of Cardeston and of Ford-in-Alberbury might
be buried in the churchyard. This agreement was revoked in 1876. V.C.H.,
Vol. VIII, p. 237.
Listing NGR: SJ4123413804
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.