British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Minsterley Hall, Minsterley

Description: Minsterley Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 29 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 258990

OS Grid Reference: SJ3734404984
OS Grid Coordinates: 337344, 304984
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6390, -2.9273

Location: B4387, Minsterley, Shropshire SY5 0BE

Locality: Minsterley
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY5 0BE

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


11/83 Minsterley Hall


House. Circa 1581 for Robert Clough, partly rebuilt and greatly enlarged
in 1653, for Sir Henry Frederick Thynne, and restored with some alterations
in 1872. Timber framed with plastered infill, underbuilt to south-east
in C19 red brick with grey sandstone dressings; C19 plain tile roofs.
2 framed bays with flush gabled cross-wing of 2
framed bays to south-west and lower late C16 flush gabled cross-wing of
2 framed bays to north-east. Framing: closely spaced uprights with middle
rail; cross-wing to north-east has first-floor parallel diagonal struts
forming lozenge panels, closely-spaced uprights beneath windows, and
quatrefoils within square panels in gables. Two-storeys and attic.
South-east front: right-hand cross-wing with moulded bressumer to first
floor, jettied gable with moulded bressumer on carved brackets, and 2-light
attic casement with curved V-struts above; left-hand cross-wing has jettied
gable with moulded bressumer on carved brackets, and 3-light wooden attic
casement with V-struts above; 2 large central timber framed gabled eaves
dormers with diagonal struts, crown-post type truss and 3-light wooden
casements; plain barge boards with finials; pair of external brick end
stacks (some partly or wholly rebuilt) and central stack in valley of
gables at rear, all having 2 or 3 star-shaped shafts with oversailing tops;
end stacks with pitched-roofed links to attic. 7-window front; first-floor
mid- to late C19 three-light wooden mullioned and transomed casements,
small 2-light casement off-centre to right and 4-light window to right-hand
cross-wing; 4 ground-floor paired sashes to left with chamfered reveals,
small cross-window and 5-light staircase window off centre to right, and
6-light window to right-hand cross-wing; chamfered-arched doorway between
second and third windows off centre to left has boarded door with strap
hinges and overlight of 3 trefoil-headed lights. Right-hand return
front has gabled timber framed probable former stair turret with tension
braces, quatrefoil panel in gable and 2-light wooden casement. Rear:
4 gables, one late C16 cross-wing to left with jettied first floor and
gable, 2-light attic casement, 4-light first-floor window, and ground
floor 3-light window with boarded door to right; C17 addition to right
has 3-light attic casements (with v-struts above in cross-wing to right);
8 windows; mainly C19 three-light mullioned and transomed wooden casements;
roughly central boarded door with 3-part rectangular overlight. Interior:
parlour and kitchen in C16 cross-wing have chamfered beams with ogee
stops and blocked large fireplace; drawing room: C17 type C19 panelling;
dining room: moulded ceiling beams; fireplace with chamfered lintel;
C17 screen (possibly including parts taken from Caus Castle) with
moulded panels, pilasters, central archway with moulded arch braces,
and billet-decorated top rail; staircase: C17, restored in C19; dog-leg
with landing; closed string, rectangular-section balusters, moulded
handrail, and square newel posts, that to landing with moulded and
pierced finial; main bedroom: probably C19 marble fireplace; panelled
pilasters, frieze with foliage decoration and putty and egg and dart
enriched cornice; central first-floor billard room: cross-walls exposed,
one has square panels and the other closely spaced uprights with a
middle rail; moulded ceiling beams, fireplace with chamfered lintel;
first-floor room to C16 cross-wing: exposed framing has square/rectangular
panels with long straight tension braces; chamfered ceiling beams; fireplace
with early C19 cast-iron grate; back staircase: C17, restored in C19;
roof: 4-bays over central C17 range, collar and tie beam trusses with queen
struts, pair of purlins with wind braces, and partition walls with lath and
plaster infill; 4-bay roof over C17 cross-wing rebuilt in C19; 4-bay roof
over C16 cross-wing. Minsterley Hall was bought by Sir Thomas Thynne
in 1634. It became the principal Shropshire residence of the Thynne
family after the destruction of Cans Castle soon after 1645. It is said
that some materials or fittings from the Castle were reused at Minsterley
Hall. It is also said that the dining room screen was taken from Minsterley
Church (qv). This seems unlikely as there appears to have been no church
in the village until the present one was built in 1689 and the screen
appears earlier than this and certainly in no way matches the surviving
late C17 fittings in the church. B,O.E., p.202; V.C.H., Vol.VIII, pp.302,
309-12; Kellys Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1905) pp.153-4;
D. T. Merry, The History of Minsterley, pp.29-32.

Listing NGR: SJ3734404984

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.