British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary, Westbury

Description: Church of St Mary

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 13 June 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 259028

OS Grid Reference: SJ3554509428
OS Grid Coordinates: 335545, 309428
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6787, -2.9548

Location: Station Road, Westbury, Shropshire SY5 9QX

Locality: Westbury
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY5 9QX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


18/121 Church of St. Mary


Parish church. C13 and C14; tower rebuilt after collapse in 1753,
the masons Richard and William Cureton, and the chancel also rebuilt
in 1753; church restored (and most windows replaced), chancel re-
modelled and vestry added by 1878 or 1887 to Oswell and Smith of
Shrewsbury at a cost of £1,879. Roughly squared and coursed red
sandstone rubble with red sandstone dressings, east wall of chancel
rebuilt in dressed snecked red sandstone; west tower of yellow/grey
sandstone ashlar; plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel with north vestry,
north aisle with north porch and west tower. Tower: 3 stages;
chamfered plinth, floor bands, moulded cornice, coped parapet ramped
up to corners (minus possible former pinnacles) and low pyramidal slate
cap with weathervane; louvred round-arched belfry openings with
chamfered-rusticated surrounds and moulded cills, and keyed circular
windows beneath (clocks to north and south); large Venetian window
in second stage to west with square mullions,impost blocks, triple
keystone, bracketed cill, and lead glazing bars; west doorway has
two C19 nail-studded boarded doors with strap hinges, 3-part rectangu-
lar overlight, projecting chamfered-rusticated surround with triple
keystone and moulded dentil cornice, and raised part of walling above
with illegible datestone; 16 stone steps up to entrance in second
stage to west consisting of door with 6 flush panels and chamfered-
rusticated surround with triple keystone; one-storey lean-to
flanking foot of steps. Nave; south side: chamfered plinth to
centre; coped parapeted gable ends, with cross to east; 2 large
probably C18 buttresses off-centre to right and C19 buttress to
right, all with chamfered offsets. C19 window to left of 3 lights
with trefoils and quatrefoils in tracery, and hood mould with
carved stops; centre C19 window of 2 lights with Geometrical tracery,
hollow-chamfered reveals, and hood mould with carved stops; C19
window to right of 3 cinquefoil-headedlights with intersecting
tracery, chamfered reveals, and returned hood mould; left-hand corner
rebuilt in ashlar after partial destruction by collapse of tower in
C18, straight joint between second window from left and buttress.
North aisle: chamfered plinth; coped parapeted gable ends with crosses
at apexes; north side: five C18 and C19 buttresses with chamfered
offsets, that to north-east diagonal; three C19 carved corbels beneath
eaves above left-hand window; C19 left-hand window has 2 cinquefoil-
headed lights with qutrefoil in tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals and
returned hood mould; 3-light C19 window off-centre to left with trefoils
and quatrefoils in tracery, hollow-chamfered reveals, and hood mould
with carved stops; C19 north doorway off-centre to right with hollow-
chamfered arch dying into-chamfered reveals, hood mould with
carved stops, and boarded door with strap hinges; evidence of medieval
doorway in wall behind; C19 gabled porch has timber-framed upper parts
and battered stone base, central arch flanked by trefoil-arched panels,
brackets supporting ends of wall-plates, and 2-bay sides; east end:
large C19 five-light window with intersecting tracery, chamfered reveals,
and returned hood mould; west end: late C14 square-headed window with
2 trefoiled ogee-lights; buttress to left. Chancel: chamfered
plinth, coped parapeted gable end with cross at apex, and integral
lateral stack to north with circular shaft; south side: pilaster
buttress to left; pair of chamfered lancets; north side: chamfered
lancet to left; lean-to vestry with 2-light window in left-hand
return front, and boarded door with chamfered lintel; east end: low
clasping buttresses with splays to form angle buttresses above string,
3 flutes in apex of gable with string below; stepped triple chamfered
lancets with cill string, and continuous hood mould with carved stops;
C20 stone attached to east end inscribed: "This Coemetery / Being the
Buying Ground of his Family / was inclosed by / JOHN SEVERNE ESQ /
late Colonel of the VIIIth Reg . of Dragoons / in the Year 1755 / When
the Chancel of which / this was a Part was rebuilt / and made less."
Interior: tower with ogee-stopped chamfered beam; C19 west doorway
with moulded reveals, hood mould with carved stops, and pair of nail-
studded boarded doors with strap hinges; west wall of nave is remains
of medieval tower, restored lancet to second stage; 5-bay north side
aisle arcade has circular piers with moulded bases and capitals and
arches with one chamfer and one roll moulding; restored C15 ten-bay
nave roof with chamfered principal rafters, chamfered arch-braced
collars with V-struts above, 3 purlins each side, cusped wind braces
forming quatrefoil patterns, and ashlar pieces with billet-decorated
frieze; rendered lower part of south wall of nave with
moulded top and square aumbry to south-east; stone corbel on north
wall of nave supporting roof; C19 double-chamfered chancel arch,
(outside hollow with moulded imposts, corbels supporting inner arch
and hood mould; single-framed chancel roof with arch-braced collars
and brattished frieze; chamfered trefoiled rear-arches to chancel
windows; chancel cill string and boarded vestry door with hood mould;
north aisle with waggon roof; south-east window of nave with unrestored
rear-arch; west window of north aisle with unrestored rear-arch and
blocked pointed-arched window above. Fittings: mostly C19 including
altar rails with wrought-iron supports; low stone sancturary walls
with moulded plinths and chamfered top, and incorporating stone pulpit
to right with 5 sides, shafts with moulded bases and capitals forming
balustrade, and moulded rail above; eagle lectern; octagonal stone
font with 2 steps, tre oil-panelled stem and quatrefoil-panelled bowl;
probably C18 carved and painted Royal coat of arms above north door;
4 hatchments in north aisle. Monuments: tablet in nave to Catherine
Corbet (d. 1789) with Corbet shield; C18 copper tablet to Richard
Burley (d. 1727), tablet in chancel to John Ashby (d. 1779) with moulded
base and cornice, urn above and shield below; tablet to John Severne
(d. 1779) with urn above and coat of arms below; north aisle with
large Grecian tablet to "Johannis Topp" of Whitton Hall (d. 1837) with
battered sides, anthemion-ornamented frieze, triangular pediment
antifixae, acanthus brackets and Latin inscription; tablet to
Richard Topp (d. 1814) signed by C. Lewis of Cheltenham with moulded
cornice and guttae. The C18 chancel was shorter than the medieval one.
There seems to be some confusion about the date of the C19 restoration,
Kelly's and Pevsner giving 1878 and the V.C.H. 1887. V.C.H. Vol. VIII,
p. 328; B.O.E., p. 311; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the
Churches of Shropshire, part 6, pp. 536-7; Kelly's Directory of
Herefordshire and Shropshire (1905), pp. 286-7.

Listing NGR: SJ3554509428

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.