British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Lea Hall, Pimhill

Description: Lea Hall

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 29 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 259114

OS Grid Reference: SJ4927821050
OS Grid Coordinates: 349278, 321050
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7846, -2.7535

Location: A528, Pimhill, Shropshire SY4 3DY

Locality: Pimhill
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY4 3DY

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

BOMERE HEATH C.P. A528 (east side)
SJ 42 SE
3/53 Lea Hall

Small country house. Dated 1584, for Richard and Eleanor Lee. Partly
refenestrated in the late C18. Red brick (English bond) with red/grey
sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs. U-plan. 2 storeys
and attic, over basement. North-east (garden) front: chamfered stone
plinth, flush stone quoins, and parapeted gables with stone copings
and kneelers, those to the left-hand range have brick pilasters at apices
with moulded stone caps. External brick lateral stacks with pitched-
roofed links to attics and 3 star-shaped shafts, integral brick lateral
stack at rear to left of right-hand wing with single star-shaped shaft,
and probably C18 integral brick stack off-centre to right at front.
Central C18 gabled eaves dormer with 3-light wooden casement. Centre
with 3 first-floor C18 segmental-headed wooden cross windows and ground-
floor segmental-headed wooden mullioned and transomed casement. Blocked
C16 double-chamfered 3-light mullioned stone mezzanine window (right-
hand mullion missing) to left (possibly to light former staircase).
Evidence of blocked ground-floor window or doorway to left (see straight
joints). Some inserted small C20 casements. Cross wings with C18
segmental-headed 3-light wooden mullioned and mullioned and transomed
casements (ground-floor window of right-hand cross wing replaced with
C20 casement), set in blocked openings of former larger mullioned and
transomed stone windows. Large probably C19 dressed red sandstone
buttress to right of windows in left-hand cross wing, with chamfered
offsets and chamfered-arched opening beneath. Curious full-height
blocked panels in inner returns of cross wings (see straight joints),
the top part of the left-hand panel is recessed and has a blocked doorway.
Blocked basement window in inner return of left-hand wing with chamfered reveals.
Lean-to addition to inner return of right-hand wing. Left-hand return
front: 2 first-floor segmental-headed wooden cross windows, and ground-
floor segmental-headed wooden cross window to left with blocked C16
double-chamfered 4-light mullioned and transomed stone window to its
right. Right-hand return front: first-floor segmental-headed 3-light
wooden mullioned and transomed casement to right and ground-floor blocked
C16 paired double-chamfered stone cross windows. Rear: various C18
segmental-headed wooden mullioned and transomed casements and blocked
C16 double-chamfered mullioned and transomed stone windows. 6-panelled
door off-centre to left with moulded architrave and blocked overlight;
C20 hipped-roofed porch. Blocked C16 doorway with dressed stone surround
and deep stone lintel. Interior: altered in the late C18 or early
C19, possibly including the horizontal division of a former central
open hall. Central ground-floor front room: C18 raised and fielded
dado panelling, corner fireplace with mid-C19 reeded architrave and C17
overmantel with 2 round arches divided by central carved figure, fluted
frieze, and cornice. Framed wall dividing room from rear corridor:
chamfered ceiling beams. Staircase with stick balusters. Plank and
muntin cellar door beneath stairs. Panelling with fluted frieze.
Left-hand ground-floor room: C16 oak panelling with fluted frieze and
modillion cornice. C16 grey sandstone fireplace with shallow ovolo-
moulded Tudor arch with flanking fluted pilasters, and 3-bay oak overmantel
with fluted Ionic pilasters on strapwork base, panelled frieze and cornice,
and 3 recessed moulded panels, the centre one with carved head, the

left-hand one inscribed:" L "and the right-hand one inscribed:
R E " 1584 "
Right-hand ground-floor front room with large open former kitchen fire-
place, and right-hand ground-floor rear room with large open corner fire-
place. First-floor staircase hall: flanked by square-panelled timber
framed internal dividing walls, each side with a series of shaped brackets
supporting the first-floor wall plate. Blocked first-floor doorway in
right-hand wall, with ovolo-moulded frame and ogee stops. Left-hand
first-floor room: pair of deep-chamfered ceiling beams with ogee stops.
Oak panelling with moulded cornice. Stone fireplace with shallow ovolo-
moulded Tudor arch and moulded cornice. Small bedroom or dressing room
to rear, divided from front room by square-panelled timber frame wall
with carpenter's marks. The possibility that the central range formerly
consisted of a full-height open hall would explain some features of the
house, in particular the blocked mezzanine or half-height window to the
front and the series of brackets supporting the wall plate at each end.
Alternatively (see the blocked first-floor floor), and more likely, the
central range was floored with undivided ground-and first-floor rooms,
and with a staircase to the front, thus explaining the windows. B.o.E.
p. 232; H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners (1924),
pp. 175-6; Frances Stackhouse Acton, The Castles and Old Mansions of
Shropshire (1868), p. 41.

Listing NGR: SJ4927821050

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.