Description: Former Stable Block and Courtyard Walls Approximately 20 Metres to North of Adcote
Date Listed: 27 November 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 259198
OS Grid Reference: SJ4185619472
OS Grid Coordinates: 341856, 319472
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7697, -2.8632
LITTLE NESS C. P. -
SJ 41 NW
5/134 Former stable block and
- courtyard walls approx.
20 metres to north of
Stable block, now school building. Circa 1879, by Richard Norman Shaw.
Snecked dressed red sandstone with plain tile roofs. One storey and attic
to west and 2-storeys to right. South front: right-hand block with brick
ridge stack, pair of first-floor 2-light mullioned stone windows flanking
former loft door, and 2-bay arcaded ground-floor with chamfered segmental
arches. Lower left-hand block has hipped semi dormer to right with segmental-
headed 2-light window, square wooden cupola on ridge to left consisting of
circular clock to each face with moulded segmental cornice over and ogee lead
dome with globe finial, and pair of ground-floor segmental-headed 3-light
leaded wooden casements. Section of forecourt wall adjoining to left with
chamfered coping, and square ashlar gate pier with concave pyramidal cap. A
matching section of courtyard wall adjoins Adcote (q.v.) to south.
Listing NGR: SJ4185619472
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.