British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St George, Pontesbury

Description: Church of St George

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 13 June 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 259510

OS Grid Reference: SJ3997306086
OS Grid Coordinates: 339973, 306086
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6492, -2.8887

Location: Main Road, Pontesbury, Shropshire SY5 0PS

Locality: Pontesbury
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY5 0PS

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Ringwork and Tower Keep Castle 170m South East of St George's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

SJ 30 NE (north side)

4/206 and 3/206 Church of St George

Parish church. Saxon origins, re-built except for the late C13 chancel,
by John Turner in 1829, re-using some of the medieval stonework. Roughly
coursed red sandstone rubble to chancel with a mixture of yellow and red
coursed limestone to C19 work, the former colour predominating on south,
ashlar porch; low-pitched slate roofs to nave and aisles and machine tiles
to chancel. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south-west tower and
south porch. Tower: 4 unequal stages with angle buttresses; broad lancets
with hoodmoulds to first and second stages on south and roundel to third;
tall louvred lancet openings to belfry with corbel table and parapet above,
brass weathercock; plain narrow pointed west door. Nave: lit by a
clerestory of 5 lancets with hoodmoulds separated by shallow pilaster
buttresses on north and south with a further blind bay to west on north
side; 2 tiers of triple lancets with hoodmoulds in west wall; plain
corbel table and parapet on north and south sides. Aisles: 5 bays with
4 pairs of lancets similar to those in clerestory but linked by a continuous
hoodmould, gabled buttresses; gabled ashlar porch in west bay on south.
Chancel: 3 bays on chamfered plinth with stepped buttresses between second
and third bays from west; windows on north and south with plain Y-tracery
and hoodmoulds (the central one on south at a higher level above the pointed
priest's door); East window in a style of c.1300, intersecting tracery of
5 lights pierced by an elongated quatrefoil above, below the apex a small
lancet opening; also in the east wall 2 stones with C12 chevron moulding
presumably re-used from earlier church on site. Interior: south doorway
has wide pointed double doors with 6 carved quatrefoils (c.1830) on outside
and original lock; tall broad arch at west end not to tower but to organ
gallery; plain square panelled roof to nave in 5 bays with principals
resting on stone corbels (c.1904), chancel roof of trussed rafter construc-
tion with scissor bracing and quatrefoil carving to cornice c.1300 (restored
1904); the chancel arch has been re-built (c.1830) but its broad tall, pointed
form with bold quadrant mouldings is probably a copy of the original late
C13 arch; C13 trefoil-arched piscina and in north wall an aumbry with
shouldered arch and an oak door inscribed HP HH ;
5-bay nave arcades have wide pointed WR 1652
arches supported by piers of quatrefoil
section with fillets on tall octagonal bases much re-cut, the exceptions being the
eastern responds and the first capitals from the east (red sandstone) which may be
C14. Fittings and furnishings: C12 plain round font has deep scalloping
beneath the bowl and a moulded rim and base; wooden pulpit is of 1904;
marble and mosaic reredos by G.E. Street (c.1866); C17 oak panelling in chancel
placed there c.1917 and further Jacobean panelling used in the screen below
the organ gallery; 6 glazed medieval floor tiles set in a wooden frame on
the south chancel wall; wooden screen across the chancel with its openwork
tracery also in the style of G.E. Street dates from 1904 as does the stained
glass in east window, commemorating the reconstruction of the chancel at this
time; there are 2 parish chests, one of early C17 at east end of south aisle
and another at west end inscribed "I B R P WAR 1700"; an iron-bound chest
with small painted panels (probably done in C19) dates from early C17 but is
of continental origin. Monuments: a good collection of C17 and C18 wall
tablets and memorials. The best are to Thomas Davies (died 1674), a London
merchant - a good mid-C18 memorial with segmental pediment and 2 flanking
standing figures above a carved sailing ship (north side, chancel);
Richard Ward Offley (died 1762) (north side, chancel); Revd. Henry Baldwin
(died 1737) (south side, chancel); also a small brass tablet on north wall
of chancel to Owen Davis (died 1596); in the nave (east wall, south side)
a memorial with folded drapery to William Boycott (died 1707). A Saxon
minster church, the parish of Pontesbury was formerly divided in 3 portions,
an arrangement dating back until at least C13 and which persisted until
1909. The church stands in a roughly oval-shaped enclosure, a feature of
early foundations. V.C.H. VIII (1968), Pp.283-90; B.o.E., p.230; D.H.S.
Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), Pp. 533-35.

Listing NGR: SJ3997306086

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.