Description: Plealey Methodist Church
Date Listed: 10 March 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 259526
OS Grid Reference: SJ4233306978
OS Grid Coordinates: 342333, 306978
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6574, -2.8540
SJ 40 NW PONTESBURY C.P. PLEALEY
4/222 Plealey Methodist
Methodist chapel. 1828 with later additions and alterations. Painted
brick, hipped slate roof with wide spreading eaves. 3 bays; leaded multi-
paned round-arched windows on long sides with entrance to front under plain
wooden Tuscan porch. Later C19 and C20 additions to rear not included.
Founded by Richard France of nearby Galliers Farmhouse (q.v.) originally as
a Congregational chapel, the chapel became a Baptist chapel followings its
founder's change of religious views in the 1830s and by 1851, for similar
reasons, a Methodist one, which it has subsequently remained. V.C.H. VIII
(1968), Pp. 255, 292.
Listing NGR: SJ4233306978
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.