British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Plaish Hall, Cardington

Description: Plaish Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 29 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 259586

OS Grid Reference: SO5301896480
OS Grid Coordinates: 353018, 296480
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5641, -2.6945

Location: Cardington, Shropshire SY6 7HX

Locality: Cardington
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY6 7HX

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


5/45 Plaish Hall


Country house. Circa 1540 and c.1580, for Sir William Leighton, incorporating
parts of a C15 house, with C17, c.1889 and early C20 alterations and
additions. Red brick (English bond) with vitrified blue diapering
and grey sandstone dressings; sides and rear of coursed grey sandstone
rubble; stone slate roof, with gablets at ends of hall range. H-plan
with gabled wings. 2 storeys and attic over basement. Chamfered
plinth, stone quoins, and parapeted gables with stone copings and
kneelers; pairs of large C16 and C17 external lateral stone and brick
stacks with pitched-roofed links to attic and groups of star-shaped
and square brick shafts with oversailing caps [that to rear at left
a C17 replacement and that to front at left having lost 2 spiral moulded
circular brick shafts since 1917 (Avray Tipping)]. External lateral
stack at rear of hall range has 3 circular brick shafts with moulded
diapering and moulded bases and caps; C19 brick stack at rear too.
Pair of central flat-topped late C19 wooden dormers with 3-light wooden
casements. South-east front: 1:3:1 windows; C16 and C17 stone double-
chamfered 3- and 4-light mullioned and transomed windows (some C19
restorations and insertions), C16 windows with pointed-arched lights
and hollow chamfers; ground-floor window off-centre to right possibly
replacing former oriel or bay (see straight joints); first-floor half-
glazed C19 door off-centre to left has small C19 balcony with scrolled
stone brackets and wrought-iron balustrade; C19 nail-studded ground-
floor door off-centre to left with C19 moulded and chamfered 4-centred
stone archway. Left-hand return front: gabled former garderobe turret
off-centre to right; C19 porch off-centre to left with lean-to roof,
C19 nail-studded boarded door to right and C15 three-light window
to left with pointed cusped lights under a straight head. Right-hand
return front: gabled former garderobe turret off-centre to right with
half-octagonal stair turret between it and right-hand stack. Early
C20 rendered flat-roofed staircase block in angle at rear. Interior:
Entrance hall: probably early C20 linenfold panelling. Hall: C19
moulded Tudor-arched fireplace with carved spandrels and heavy overmantel;
early C20 linenfold panelling; moulded stone 4-centred archway at
upper end has old boarded door with strap hinges. Drawing room: C16
ceiling divided into lozenge panels by thin ribs with small pendants,
each painted with the initials "H.R.", small shields and scrollwork;
C16 panelling painted to imitate relief with small floral motifs;
C16 Tudor-arched stone fireplace with large overmantel consisting
of 3 carved round-arched and circular panels, square-in-square panels
low down to each side. Dining room: delicate C16 plaster ceiling
(of the Wilderhope School) with thin ribs, "JESU" in central foiled
panel, Tudor Rose motifs, and frieze with grotesques and roses; probably
late C16 fireplace with Ionic half columns and frieze and cornice
with acanthus brackets. Staircase: early C20 incorporating reused
timbers from former C16 hall roof and gallery (including balusters
from gallery and hammer struts reused as newel posts) with closed
string, pierced splat balusters, square newel posts with cable-moulded
corners and large finials; moulded ceiling beams with run-out stops;
first-floor timber framed cross walls. Right-hand bedrooms: one has
chamfered Tudor-arched brick fireplace with broach stops. Back bedroom
has chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace, remains of stencilled fleur-
de-lys wall decoration, and newel stair in turret (formerly carrying on up
to attic). Left-hand bedrooms: one has chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace
with brick reveals and stone lintel. Centre room has late C17 stone
fireplace with deep lintel and moulded cornice. Front bedroom has
delicate C16 plaster ceiling with thin ribs dividing it into 4 panels
with Tudor Rose motifs at corners. Sometime soon after c.1917 the
pair of octagonal stair turrets formerly in the angles at the rear
were demolished and replaced by a new staircase block. At the same
time a first-floor was inserted into the central hall and many of
the old timbers from the former hammerbeam roof and west gallery were-
reused in the new staircase. There is a monument to Sir William Leighton
in St. Mary's Church, Cardington (q.v.). The brickwork at Plaish
is some of the earliest in the county. B.O.E., pp.228-9; H. Avray
Tipping M.A., F.S.A., English Homes, Period III, Vol. I, Late Tudor
1558-1649, Country Life (1917), pp.14-21.

Listing NGR: SO5301896480

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.