If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Woolstaston Hall and Garden Wall Adjoining to East
Date Listed: 29 January 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 259647
OS Grid Reference: SO4513098375
OS Grid Coordinates: 345130, 298375
Latitude/Longitude: 52.5804, -2.8112
There is also a scheduled monument, Castle Bank Motte and Bailey Castle, 150m North West of Woolstaston Hall., at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
SO 4598 WOOLSTASTON C.P. WOOLSTASTON
10/106 Woolstaston Hall
29.1.52 and garden wall
adjoining to east
Country house, truncated. Circa 1675, partly demolished c.1784, with
mid- to late C19 additions. Red brick (partly painted) with grey and
brown sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped plain tile roof. Remaining
southern wing of former H-plan house. 2 storeys and attic over basement.
South front: plinth with chamfered stone (pp, chamfered quoins (to right),
and plat band; central gabled dormer with 2-light wooden casement, external
brick end stack to left with 2 x 3 panels to top and pitched-roofed
link to attic, and integral brick lateral stack at rear. 7 bays (3
centre bays closely spaced); 4-pane sashes with gauged brick heads and
rebuilt cills (first-floor right-hand sash is painted imitation). 3 steps
up to central pair of doors, each with 4 raised and fielded panels;
decaying sandstone doorcase consisting of panelled pilasters with husk
drops hanging from grotesque heads, entablature with carved husk garlands,
pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice (breaking forward over pilasters),
and steep triangular pediment with flanking urns. Right-hand return
front (former front elevation) of 2 bays with plinth, quoins, moulded
stone string course, and central gabled dormer with 2-light wooden casement.
Rear: one-bay former return of wing to left with blind windows. Two
C19 gabled wings to-right, one with brick ridge stack. Part of former
C17 forecourt wall adjoining to east; red brick on sandstone rubble
plinth with grey sandstone dressings; quoins at east end and moulded
coping, ramped down slope; pair of C19 cast-iron gates at west end and
C20 boarded door in centre. Interior of house: fairly complete late
C17 and C18 fittings throughout including doors with 6 raised and fielded
panels and H-hinges and window shutters with 4 raised and fielded panels.
Hall: early to mid-C17 wainscot panelling (a number carved) with fluted
frieze (said to have come from Church Stretton church). Entrance wall
with tall raised and fielded bolection-moulded panels and moulded cornice;
mid- to late C19 staircase and fireplace. Ground-floor left-hand room
(former kitchen: bolection-moulded wainscot panelling; window wall with
tall bolection moulded panels and moulded cornice; segmental-arched
stone fireplace. Drawing room (ground-floor right): bolection-moulded
wainscot panelling with dado rail; window walls with bolection-moulded
raised and fielded panels and dado rail; fireplace with bolection moulded
surround, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice, overmantel with bolection-
moulded raised and fielded panelling with flanking panelled pilasters,
and coved and moulded cornice, breaking forward over pilasters. Landing:
moulded wainscot-panelling; doorways with moulded architraves and bolection-
moulded panel above; moulded cornice; small bedroom taken out of landing
has late C17 panelled door with strap hinges and remains of floral painting.
Left-hand bedroom: fireplace with bolection moulded surround, reveals
with Delft-like tiles, and bolection moulded raised and fielded panel
above; coved and moulded cornice. Right-hand bedroom: blocked fireplace
with bolection-moulded raised and fielded panel above; moulded cornice;
dressing room with moulded cornice. Before its partial demolition the house
contained 37 rooms. It had a balustraded parapet and a stone gateway
in front with lions. The house ceased to be the residence of the lord
of the manor on the death of Catherine Pope in 1754. After demolition
c.1784 much of the panelling was taken to Apley Park (near Bridgnorth)
but some was reused at The Farm, Leebotwood (q.v.). B.O.E., p.322;
V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.173.
Listing NGR: SO4513098375
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.