Description: Acton Burnell Castle
Date Listed: 13 June 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 259654
OS Grid Reference: SJ5338201898
OS Grid Coordinates: 353382, 301898
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6128, -2.6899
ACTON BURNELL C.P. ACTON BURNELL
SJ 50 SW
6/3 Acton Burnell Castle
(formerly listed as Ruins
of Acton Burnell Castle)
Fortified manor house, remains of. 1284-5 for Robert Burnell (died
1292) with some late C18 alterations. Roughly squared and coursed
red and grey sandstone with ashlar dressings; C18 stone slate hipped
roofs over west block and south-west tower. 4-bay central block
formerly with first-floor 3-bay hall and one-bay chamber over ground-
floor buttery and service chambers; small projecting garderobe block
to west; projecting square corner towers: formerly containing garde-
robe to north-west, stairs to upper chambers to south-west; possible chapel and
stairs to hall to north-east, and stairs to undercroft to south-east.
2 and 3 storeys with 4-storey towers. Battlemented parapets; towers
with moulded plinth and chamfered offsets. Large 2-light windows with
cusped geometrical tracery, ground floor lancets to north; rectangular
openings to towers. Disturbed masonry to central block is evidence of
former buttresses; there was formerly a 2-span roof, springing from
corbels and a now-demolished central hall arcade. Robert Burnell was
Chancellor of England and Bishop of Bath and Wells; he also built a
large palace at Wells with which the design of Acton Burnell has some
affinities. The ruins were used as a barn in the C18 when the large
depressed archways were created in the north and south walls. To
the east of the house stand the gable ends of a large C13 stone barn
(County A.M. No.la) (not included on this list) and the Church of
St Mary (q.v.) lies immediately to the north-west. County A.M. No.1 .
C.A. Ralegh Radford, Acton Burnell Castle, H.M.S.O., 1977; B.o.E.,
Pp.47-9; Ed A.P. Detsicas, Collectanea Historica, Maidstone: Kent
Archaelogical Society (1981), Pp.85-92; Archaelogical Journal, Vol.
138 (1981), Pp.31-2.
Listing NGR: SJ5338201898
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.