Description: Cross Houses Hospital, That Part Used As Hospital Administration Block, Staff Accomodation and Parts
Date Listed: 3 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 259687
OS Grid Reference: SJ5386307567
OS Grid Coordinates: 353863, 307567
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6638, -2.6836
BERRINGTON C.P. A458, CROSS HOUSES
SJ 50 NW
SJ 5386 0756 (north-east side)
3/35 Cross Houses Hospital,
that part used as
3.4.86 hospital administration
block, staff accomodation
and parts of Wards
Nos 1B (Lyth Hill Ward),
2A (Breidden Ward),
2B (Grinshill Ward) and
3A (Ragleth Ward)
Workhouse, now part of hospital. 1792-3, by J. H. Haycock (1759-1850)
of Shrewsbury. Red brick with hipped slate roof. H-plan. 3 storeys.
Dentil brick eaves cornice; brick stack behind ridge off-centre to right
and brick ridge stack to right. 2:7:2 bays with projecting end pavilions;
glazing bar sashes with painted brick flat arches, second floor window
in third bay from left replaced by 3 casements in late C20. Central
blocked segmental-headed archway with pair of C20 glazed doors; doors
in pavilions between second and third and ninth and tenth bays with
4 flush panels and painted brick flat arches. 2 wings projecting at rear.
Built as the Atcham Union Workhouse with later additions of 1851 or
1871 and 1903 (not of special architectral interest). V.C.H., Vol VIII,
p.17; Colvin, p.407.
Listing NGR: SJ5386307567
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.