British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Cound Hall, Cound

Description: Cound Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 13 June 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 259733

OS Grid Reference: SJ5607405329
OS Grid Coordinates: 356074, 305329
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6439, -2.6506

Location: A458, Cound, Shropshire SY5 6AH

Locality: Cound
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY5 6AH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

COUND C.P. A458, Cound
SJ 50 NE
(south-west side)
4/80 Cound Hall
- I
Mansion. Dated 1704, by John Prince of Shrewsbury for Edward Cressett;
service wing of c.1800 and extended in 1907 (datestone); interior partly
altered in the early C19 and the late C19 or early C20. Red brick, gauged
in north-west front; grey sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped slate roof.
Double pile plan with recessed corners; 3:3:3 x 1:3:1 bays. 3 storeys
and attic over basement. North-west front: plinth with some channelled
rustication and moulded stone top, stone floor bands with moulded under-
sides; Corinthian giant order with channelled-rusticated pedestals;
fluted pilasters with carved cable fluting, moulded bases and well
carved capitals, and short sections of entablature, with carved lions in
frieze to centre pair; well moulded dentil cornice breaking forward
over pilasters with acorn dentils at corners, and egg and dart and other
enrichments; solid parapet with wrought iron balustrades over end
projections; 4 segmental-topped dormers and 6 brick stacks, 3:3:3 bays;
glazing bar sashes (early C18 in left-hand 3 bays with exposed boxes and
late C18 to right) with gauged brick heads (segmental to basement),
moulded stone cills, and aprons; carved stone datestone below central
second-floor window and carved stone festoons in panels beneath fourth
and sixth first-floor windows. Central pair of doors each with 3
bolection-moulded panels, and rectangular overlight above; stone door-
case consisting of panelled pilasters with moulded bases and carved
husk drops, large carved console brackets with putti flanking carved
monogram between, and open segmental pediment with broken-back centre
and carved armorial shield with flanking palm fronds in tympanum; 8
probably early C19 stone steps up to entrance with incised fret ornament
on risers and small square corner-piers at feet. Right-hand return front:
1:3:1 bays; flanking pilasters, central break with chamfered stone
quoins of equal length; central bay slightly broken forward; early
C18 sashes to ground and first floors and late C18 sashes to second
floor, some blind windows in set-back outer bays. Central pair of
half-glazed bolection-moulded doors with rectangular overlight; stone
doorcase consisting of chamfered rusticated ground, architrave with
egg and dart enrichment, frieze with carved foliage decoration and
shield, and broken segmental pediment with carved foliage decoration
and cartouche in tympanum; flanking curved flights of stone steps with
wrought iron balustrade consisting of square-section railings and standards
with globe finials, curved stanchions, ramped handrails and radial panel
to centre with flanking lyre panels; keyed segmental arch beneath with
flight of steps down to half-glazed basement door. Left-hand return
front: 1:3:1 bays, flanking pilasters, central break with chamfered
stone quoins of equal length; early C18 sashes with exposed boxes,
some blind windows in set-back outer bays; triple keystones to first-
floor windows. Rear: 3:3:3 bays; Corinthian giant order: pilasters
flanking centre 3 bays with carved cartouches in frieze and supporting
triangular pediment with broken-back centre; early C18 sashes in 3
right-hand bays and in second floor of centre 3 bays; triple keystones
to first-floor windows and no aprons to second-floor windows. 8 stone
steps up to pair of half-glazed doors; stone doorcase consisting of
panelled pilasters with moulded bases and carved husk drops, large
carved console brackets, and open segmental pediment with broken-back
centre and armorial carving with flanking foliage in tympanum. Service
wing to north-east: late C18 or early C19; red brick wigh grey sand-
stone dressings and hipped slate roof; one storey. Chamfered stone
quoins, dentil stone eaves cornice, and central brick ridge stack; 4
bays, glazing bar sashes. Additions dated 1907 in an early C18 style;
red brick with grey sandstone dressings, plinth, chamfered quoins,
moulded eaves cornice, and lugged architraves; sashes and wreathed
oeils-de-boeuf. Interior: 1704, c.1800, and late C19 or early C20.
Left-hand rooms mainly 1704: bolection-moulded panelling; moulded
cornices; panelled doors; fireplaces with bolection-moulded surrounds,
floating cornices, and late C18 or early C19 cast iron grates; small
corner fireplaces in dressing rooms on first and second floors; wall
cupboards adjoining fireplaces; first-floor central corridor with tall
bolection-moulded panels from floor to ceiling; ground-floor left-hand
front room especially fine. Other probably late C18 or early C19 fire-
places. Right-hand rooms and ground-floor rear rooms have been altered
in the late C19 or early C20 to a lesser or greater extent: ground-
floor right-hand front room in a Neo-Jacobean style with panelling,
stone fireplace with overmantel and strapwork plaster ceiling; ground-
floor right-hand room at rear in an early C18 style with bolection-
moulded panels and fireplace surround, panelled doors, and enriched
plaster ceiling; 2 central ground-floor rooms at rear combined and
remodelled in a Neo-Classical style with Ionic screen, richly decorated
plaster frieze and cornice, 2 fireplaces, and panelled doors with door-
cases; first-floor right-hand room at front with lugged panels, Ionic
pilasters, enriched plaster cornice and panelled ceiling, Neo-Classical
fireplace and panelled doors; other fireplaces and fittings in the
house are also probably late C19 or early C20. Full-height entrance
hall; staircase, said to be early C19 but possibly c.1900: 3-flights to each storey
around square well with landings, and centre flight 'flying' acrosshall
with half-landing supported on Ionic and Corinthian columns; open string
with carved paterae on tread ends, wrought iron balustrade, columnular
newel post, moulded ramped and wreathed handrail, and probably late C19
strapwork decoration on soffit; c.1900 panelling, and ceiling with
dentil cornice and central rose. Early C18 back staircase from ground
to first floor with closed string, turned balusters, square newel posts
and moulded handrail; back staircase to second floor with delicate
turned balusters, square newel posts, and moulded handrail. It is said that
repairs were made to the south front after an earthquake in c.1840 which
might explain the only partial replacement of the early C18 sashes
with the thinner barred later type. It might also be significant that
the early C18 interiors have survived best in the parts of the house
where the sashes have not been replaced. The house is notable for its
high quality detailing and for being one of the few known works of
John Prince. It is of a type of country house popular throughout the
West Midlands in the early C18 and exemplified by the work of Francis
Smith of Warwick. V.C.H., Vol.VIII, Pp.58-73; B.o.E., Pp.114-5; Colvin,
Pp.661-2; H. Avary Tipping, English Homes,Period IV, Vol. 7, Late Stuart
1649-1714, Country Life (1924), Pp.417-24; Kerry Downes, English Baroque
Architecture, Zwemmer (1966), Pp.66-7 and Ills. 162, 164-6.

Listing NGR: SJ5607405329

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.