Description: Shotton Farmhouse
Date Listed: 29 October 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 260037
OS Grid Reference: SJ4943221766
OS Grid Coordinates: 349432, 321766
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7911, -2.7513
SJ 42 SE HADNALL C.P. -
7/43 Shotton Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid- to late C18 with early to mid-C19 additions. Red
brick with dressed red sandstone plinth and additions; slate roofs.
3 storeys. Dentil brick eaves cornice. Integral brick end stacks
and brick ridge stack off-centre to north-east. North-west front:
3-window front; 2- and 3-light segmental-headed wooden casements.
Door off-centre between first and second windows from right with
4 flush panels and 3-light rectangular overlight with segmental head.
Later 2-storey gabled addition projecting at right angles to left with
3-light segmental-headed wooden casement to each floor and external
lateral stack to left. Rear: central door with 4 flush panels, 3-
part rectangular overlight and bracketed porch. Later projecting gabled
wing of one and a half storeys and with integral lateral brick stack. Interior:
staircase with closed string and stick balusters. Richard Gough (writing
in 1701) says that Shotton Farm did "antiently belong to the Kinastons".
Thomas Kinaston (or Kynaston) sold it to Mr William Watkins in 1629.
The buildings at Shotton Farm now all appear to post-date Gough's account.
It is possible that Gough is referring to Shotton Hall (now mid- to
late C19 and not included on this list). In Gough's time Hadnall was
a chapelry of Myddle. Richard Gough, Ed. D. Hey, The History of Myddle,
Penguin (1981), pp. 110-114. David G. Hey, An English Rural Community:
Myddle Under the Tudors and Stuarts, Leicester University Press (1974),
Listing NGR: SJ4943221766
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.