Myddle Castle, Myddle and Broughton
Description: Myddle Castle
Date Listed: 27 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 260089
OS Grid Reference: SJ4687523564
OS Grid Coordinates: 346875, 323564
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8070, -2.7895
Location: Glebelands, Myddle, Shropshire SY4 3RP
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
SJ 4623-4723 MYDDLE C.P. MYDDLE
15/94 Myddle Castle
Castle, now ruined. Circa 1307 for Lord Lestrange of Knockin. Dressed
red sandstone with rubblestone core and red and grey sandstone ashlar
dressings. All that remains is the former north-east corner with the
remains of a corner stair turret and two sides of the inner retaining
wall of the rectangular moat. There is a small rectangular window
in the remains of the northern wall and the jamb of a probable large
chamfered cross window with glazing-bar holes in the remains of the
eastern wall, possibly the indication of a former first floor hall
(cf. Acton Burnell). A moulded trefoil-headed doorway with panelled
spandrels leads to the remains of the stair turret which still retains
the first few steps of a stone newel stair. There are other chamfered
reveals and set backs in the remains of the stair turret to the north.
There is a stone inscribed "Repaired by the Rt./Honble John Hume Egerton/
VISCOUNT ALFORD/OCTr.1849/[Henry?] Sheraton Steward." There is a
block of dressed grey sandstone on the ground to the east of the remains
with a carved shield. Moat retaining wall. Dressed red sandstone
with some rubblestone. L-plan. Approximately 46 metres long and 1.5
metres high forming the inner retaining wall of the section of the
rectangular moat to the east of the remains of Myddle Castle and half
of that to the south. The section of wall to the south incorporates
various fragments of dressed and carved stone probably from the castle
buildings including a block of chamfered stone and what looks like
part of a window or door head. Late C20 farmbuildings and a yard with
a concrete block wall have been built over the moat up against the
eastern section of retaining wall. Lord Lestrange was given a licence
to crenellate in 1307. The Castle probably ceased to be occupied c.1500
as it was described as "veri ruinus" by John Leland when he visited
Myddle c.1540. Old photographs (Hey) show the tower standing higher
than at present (January 1986) but a former ashlar circular or octagonal
battlemented top stage and a part to the north collapsed in 1976.
It has been suggested that some of this (particularly the top stage)
was a romantic embellishment added during the repair work of 1849,
County Ancient Monument No. 16. B.O.E., p.215; Richard Gough, Ed.
D. Hey , The History of Myddle (1701), Penguin (1981), pp.54-58; David
G. Hey, An English Rural Community: Myddle Under the Tudors and Stuarts,
Leicester University Press (1974), pp.25-26 and plate 6.
Listing NGR: SJ4687523564
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.