British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Mary the Virgin, Shawbury

Description: Church of St Mary the Virgin

Grade: I
Date Listed: 28 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 260107

OS Grid Reference: SJ5591821177
OS Grid Coordinates: 355918, 321177
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7864, -2.6550

Location: 119 Church Street, Shawbury, Shropshire SY4 4NH

Locality: Shawbury
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY4 4NH

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

There is also a scheduled monument, Moated Site 140m East of St Mary's Church, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.

Listing Text

(east side)

19/112 Church of Saint Mary
28.10.60 the Virgin


Parish church. Late C12 nave and south aisle, C13 chancel, north aisle
rebuilt in late C15, north chapel and tower, and late C17 porch. Alterations
and restoration dated 1603 and 1875. Dressed red and grey sandstone
and yellow/grey sandstone ashlar. Plain tile roofs. Nave and aisles
of 2½ bays, chancel and north chapel, north porch, and west tower.
Tower: 2 tall external stages with canted stair turret to south-east.
Chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with chamfered offsets and leading
into diagonal buttreses to belfry, moulded string course with carved
blocks, quatrefoil frieze to parapet string course with carved blocks and gargoyles,
and battlemented parapet with moulded coping and 8 crocketed pinnacles.
Pyramidal lead cap with weathervane. Louvred belfry openings of 2
trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery, chamfered reveals, and
hoodmoulds with carved stops. Quatrefoil sound holes beneath belfry
openings with chamfered square reveals and returned hoodmoulds; clock
over sound hole to north. West window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with
panelled tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with chamfered stops.
Small corbelled ogee-headed niche to north with the name "Thomas Chorlton"
(probably the patron) on a shield beneath. Nave and aisles: chamfered
plinths, parapeted gable ends with plain copings and shaped kneelers.
South side: pilaster buttresses. Small C12 round-arched window to right.
C19 window off-centre to right of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil
tracery, and C19 cinquefoil-headed chamfered lancet to left. Pilaster
buttresses flanking late C12 round-arched doorway off-centre to left
with chamfered reveals, one order of shafts with moulded bases and foliage-
carved capitals, 2 orders of carved ornament around arch (chevron and
other) and remains of hoodmould; C19 boarded door with strap hinges.
Right-hand return front: C14 window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with
Y-tracery. North side: buttresses with chamfered offsets, diagonal
buttress to left. Square-headed window off-centre to right of 3 cinquefoil-
headed lights and with chamfered reveals. Inserted probably late C18
blocked round-arched doorway with chamfered reveals to north chapel off-centre
to left (possibly former entrance to a squire's pew). C12 depressed-
arched doorway to right with chamfered reveals, one order of shafts
with moulded bases and foliage-carved capitals, chamfered imposts and roll-
moulded arch with nailhead ornament; probably C15 or C16 nail-studded
boarded door with strap hinges. Late C17 ashlar porch with chamfered
rustication, round-arched entrance with archivolt, flanking rusticated
pilasters with moulded bases and capitals and parapeted gable with moulded
kneelers, plain coping with flanking scrolls, and cross at apex. Left-
hand return front of aisle: C15 window of 3 trefoiled ogee-headed lights
with panelled tracery, chamfered reveals and returned hoodmould (possibly
altered from 2-light window - see stubs of mullions in cill). East
gable end of nave with pair of double-chamfered square windows of c.1603.
Chancel: parapeted gable end with shaped kneelers; south side: 3 ashlar
buttresses with chamfered offsets; late C18 left-hand buttress with upper
part carved to represent obelisk-type memorial tablet (no inscription
at time of survey - January 1986). Square-headed window to left of
2 cinquefoil-headed lights. Square-headed C19 window to right of 2
cinquefoil-headed lights with depressed Y-tracery and chamfered reveals.
Blocked moulded C13 priest's doorway off-centre to left (partly obscured
by left-hand buttress). North side: C13 blocked chamfered lancet to
right and central C19 chamfered round-arched window of 2 cinquefoil-
headed lights. East end: large C15 window of 5 cinquefoil-headed lights
with panelled tracery and returned hoodmould. Interior: 2 late C12 arcades
of 21 bays (west end truncated by later tower) consistihg of circular
piers with moulded bases and capitals carved with small scallops, foliage
and beads (south-east), round arches with small chamfer and continuous
hoodmould with carved heads as stops. Tall tower arch with continuous
double chamfer with bell-shaped bases. Chamfered four-centered arched
doorway to stair turret. 3-bay nave roof of c.1603 consisting of chamfered
arch-braced collar trusses springing from stone corbels; pairs of purlins
with wind braces. C18 or C19 king post roof to north aisle. South
aisle with round rear arch to south door and square surrounds to remains
of piscina. C13 chancel arch consisting of half-round inner shafts
with capitals and moulded arch, and continuous outer chamfer. Arch
to north chapel consisting of half-octagonal pier to left with chamfered
base and capital, and double chamfered arch, dying into right-hand respond.
Probably C17 three-bay chancel roof consisting of arch-braced collar
trusses with central pendants and struts above collar, and springing
from hammerbeams with carved angels; 2 pairs of purlins with wind braces.
Blocked C13 south door to chancel with blocked C13 window to left.
Small recess in south wall,possibly former piscina or aumbry. Large
chamber in east wall, possibly former aumbry or reliquary. Fittings:
carved oak reredos presented in 1881 by Miss Corbet of Acton Reynald.
Late C19 choir stalls and vicar's pew. Late C19 eagle lectern. Octagonal
wooden pulpit dated 1612 with fluted recessed panels (2 high), guilloche
ornament, moulded cornice, tapered base with lozenge ornament and steps
with fluted newel. Late C19 pews. C12 stone tub font with bands of
geometrical ornament, moulded base and lead lining. Probably C17 iron-
bound poor box by north door. C17 table in south aisle with tapered
legs and carving. Plain C17 or C18 parish chest and 3 large benefactors'
boards beneath tower (one dated 1737). Brass chandelier presented by
Mr Richard Hill in 1776. Stained glass: fragments of C14 or C15 glass
in south window of chancel including a Virgin of the Annunciation.
Monuments: medieval coffin slab on wall west of north door with a cross
of the crosslet type and the initials "EC KP". Tablet in chancel to
Lucy Minor (d.1832) consisting of a sarcophagus topped by an urn and
with crossed palms and a shield below. Dates inscribed in wall above
chancel arch, including 1875 and to the left 1603 with the initials:
"WHMP". The roof was probably raised c.1603 and the windows in the eastern
gable end of the nave inserted at the same time. There was formerly
also a south porch, taken down in 1789. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural
Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 8, pp.718-724; B.O.E., pp.24-2;
Kelly's Directory of Herefordshire and Shropshire (1905), pp.199-200.

Listing NGR: SJ5591721178

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.