British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Andrew, Stanton upon Hine Heath

Description: Church of St Andrew

Grade: I
Date Listed: 28 October 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 260142

OS Grid Reference: SJ5680923790
OS Grid Coordinates: 356809, 323790
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8099, -2.6422

Location: 3 Church Lane, Stanton Upon Hine Heath, Shropshire SY4 4LL

Locality: Stanton upon Hine Heath
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY4 4LL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text


18/146 Church of Saint
28.10.60 Andrew


Parish church. C12. Remains of probably late C13 or C14 south aisle,
C13 tower with late C14 belfry, porch dated 1593, and east end of chancel
rebuilt in 1740 at the expense of Andrew Corbet. Church restored in
1891-2 at a cost of £1,350, partly by public subscription and partly
at the expense of Francis Stanier of Peplow. Red sandstone; coursed
rubble (some C12 herringbone work), dressed and ashlar with red and
grey sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. Nave with north
porch, chancel and west tower. Tower: 3 stages. Very large stepped
diagonal west buttresses, that to north with datestone recording inter
alia churchwardens: "Thomas Groome and William Dodkin (date and further
inscription illegible at time of survey - January 1986). Offset to
belfry with carved gargoyles at corners, coved parapet string with carved
gargoyles at corners and battlemented parapet with moulded coping and
crocketed pinnacles; weathervane. Louvred belfry openings of 2 cinquefoil-
headed lights with Y-tracery, double-chamfered reveals and hoodmould.
Inserted second square windows to north and south. Chamfered lancet
in first stage to south, small lancet to west and late C19 square-headed
window to north of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hollow-chamfered reveals.
Nave: parapeted gable to east with coping, gabled moulded kneelers,
and cross at apex. South side: wall rebuilt to right in late C19 after
demolition of 2-bay aisle; moulded plinth and chamfered top and 2 buttresses.
Three late C19 fourteenth century style windows of 2 trefoil-headed
lights with quatrefoil tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds with
chamfered block stops. C12 doorway off-centre to left with roll-moulded
round arch, hoodmould, and C19 boarded door with strap hinges. North
side: small C12 round-arched window to left, central C15 square-headed
window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with chamfered reveals and late C19
window to right of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery,
chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with block stops. C12 round-arched
doorway between first and second windows from right with inner roll
moulding, one order of shafts with moulded bases and carved leaf capitals,
chamfered impost blocks, roll-moulded outer arch, and remains of hoodmould;
pair of C19 boarded doors with strap hinges. Stone porch with chamfered
plinth and parapeted gable with chamfered kneelers, coping and apex
finial. Moulded-arched doorway; pair of C19 boarded doors with strap
hinges. Returns have 2-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows with
leaded lights. Interior of porch: roof trusses with double-chamfered
steeply-cambered tie-beams; side benches. Chancel; south side: chamfered
plinth. C14 window to right of 2 trefoiled ogee-headed lights, altered
with square head, and late C19 two-light window to left with panelled
tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould. Evidence of blocked door
or window (see section of moulded jamb) to left of central buttress.
North side: 2 buttresses. Two small C12 round-arched windows, that
to left with chamfered reveals. East end: chamfered plinth, diagonal
buttresses with chamfered offsets, and parapeted gable with moulded
gabled kneelers, coping, and cross at apex. Three-light window with
intersecting tracery, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould with block stops.
Interior: probably C17 five-bay nave roof consisting of chamfered arch-
braced collar trusses with struts above and springing from brackets
with billet ornament. Pairs of purlins (lower set with billet ornament)
with one tier of wind braces. Two-bay chancel roof consisting of chamfered
arch-braced collar trusses with V-struts and springing from scrolled
brackets. North and south doors with large round rear arches and reset
C12 masonry in walls above with carved chevron ornament. Low blocked
chamfered tower arch with inserted C19 boarded door. Blocked former
2-bay south arcade with chamfered outer reveals, central octagonal pier
with chamfered base and capital, and double-chamfered arches. Evidence
of former central north door to nave (see reveals and reused carved
stone beneath central window). C19 double-chamfered arch with inner
chamfer springing from small attached ¾ shafts, and hoodmould with carved
stops. East window with chamfered rear arch and moulded string carried
over as hoodmould. Small chamfered rectangular aumbry to north. Fittings
include: sanctuary with raised and fielded and plain wainscot panelling
raised to form reredos with carved panels. C17 communion table with
carved bulbous legs and frieze. Mid-C18 communion rails with turned
balusters, square piers with attached half-balusters, and moulded handrail.
Late C19 pews and lectern. C18 polygonal wooden pulpit, 2 panels high
with vertical fluting, guilloche ornament, panelled base and late C19
stairs with turned balusters. Late C19 octagonal stone font with chamfered
base, and probably C17 or C18 cover with knob finial. Early C19 three-
bay west gallery with reeded posts; late C19 boarded door with chamfered
reveals from gallery to second stage of tower. Painted Royal coat of
arms dated 1808. Hatchment. Benefactors' board above north door and
2 benefactors' boards in gallery. Evidence of former painted arcading
flanking east windows. Plaque on north wall of chancel inscribed: "Andrew
Corbet/of Moreton Corbet Esq /Patron of this Church rebuilt this Chancel
End/in the year of our Lord/1740" and "This chancel/was again restored/by
the patron/Francis Stanier esquire/of Peplow 1892". Plaque on south
wall of nave inscribed: "The nave and tower/of this church were/restored
and the cost/defrayed by public/subscription 1892". The church stands
on a raised circular platform. B.O.E., p.292; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural
Account of the Churches of Shropshire, part 8, p.725.

Listing NGR: SJ5680923788

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.