Description: Shropshire Union Canal Bridge Number 51 (New Brighton Bridge)
Date Listed: 25 February 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 260164
OS Grid Reference: SJ7205927781
OS Grid Coordinates: 372059, 327781
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8468, -2.4163
CHESWARDINE C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION
SJ 72 NW CANAL
8/14 Bridge No 51
- (New Brighton Bridge)
Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers.
Dressed red sandstone with tooled ashlar dressings. Elliptical
skew arch with voussoirs and flush keystone. Flat string course, and parapet
with square end piers and rounded coping. Slightly battered and curved
abutments. Cast-iron corner posts on towpath side with grooves caused by rope
haulage. Oval cast-iron number plate. This stretch of canal was built as
part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal (act passed 1826, opened
1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually
became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the
West Midlands, pp 183-9; Thomas Pellow and Paul Bowen, The Shroppie. A portrait
of the Shropshire Union Canal.
Listing NGR: SJ7205927781
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.