Description: Shropshire Union Canal Milepost Approximately 25 Metres to South East of Bridge Number 52
Date Listed: 25 February 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 260166
OS Grid Reference: SJ7167728189
OS Grid Coordinates: 371677, 328189
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8505, -2.4220
CHESWARDINE C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION
SJ 72 NW CANAL (south-west
SJ 7167 2818 side)
8/16 Milepost approx. 25
- metres to south-east
of Bridge No 52
Milepost. Circa 1830. Cast iron. Short cylindrical round-topped post
with curved rectangular plates to front. 2 to top and one to bottom. Super-
scribed self lettering reads: "AUTHERLEY/JUNCTION/22 MILES" (left-hand side).
"NANTWICH/17/MILES" (right-hand side) and "NORBURY/JUNCTION/6 1/2 MILES" (bottom).
This stretch of canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool Junction
Canal (act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by the Ellesmere and
Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shropshire Union in
1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp. 183-9. Thomas
Pellow and Paul Bowen, The Shroppie. A portrait of the Shropshire Union Canal.
Listing NGR: SJ7167728189
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.