Description: Gateway and Flanking Walls to Hodnet Hall Approximately 18 Metres to South West of Church of Saint L
Date Listed: 25 February 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 260200
OS Grid Reference: SJ6121428574
OS Grid Coordinates: 361214, 328575
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8533, -2.5774
HODNET C.P. CHURCH STREET
13/47 Gateway and flanking walls
- to Hodnet Hall approx. 18
metres to south-west of
Church of Saint Luke
Gateway and flanking walls. Dated 1887, probably by Anthony Salvin.
Grey sandstone ashlar. Neo-Jacobean style. East side: flanking
buttresses with chamfered offsets and chamfered reveals, banded
rustication above returned as voussoirs, and raised keystone with Ionic
volutes and inscription: "ESPERANCE / EN DIEU / 1954" (earlier lettering
just visible beneath:" ? / CORVOS / 1887". Frieze with raised
rectangular panels, and open triangular pediment resting on brackets and
with central globe finial in tympanum. Keystone at rear with carved
family crest. Flanking walls of tooled ashlar with ramped chamfered
copings and square end piers with moulded caps and globe finials.
The gateway is similar to one dated 1631 and 1954 in Hodnet Park (q.v.).
Hodnet was formerly the seat of the Vernons. The present building (not
included on this list) dates from 1870. B.O.E., p. 151.
Listing NGR: SJ6121428572
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.