Description: Hawkestone Hall
Date Listed: 10 February 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 260208
OS Grid Reference: SJ5813629875
OS Grid Coordinates: 358136, 329875
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8647, -2.6233
HODNET C.P. HAWKSTONE PARK
11/55 Hawkstone Hall (Formerly
10.2.59 listed as Joseph's College,
Country house, now pastoral and study centre. Circa 1700, altered
between 1719 and 1725 for Richard Hill, and remodelled and enlarged c.
1750 for Sir Rowland Hill. Further altered aid enlarged in 1832-4
by Lewis Wyatt for Sir Rowland Hill, minor alterations including the
reduction of the wings soon after 1900 for Lord Marchamley, and chapel
added in 1934 by G.B. Cox of Birmingham. Red brick with painted
sandstone dressings. Hipped slate roofs. Central 9-bay block with
extruded corner towers and with flanking 3-bay quadrant link walls to
projecting 5-bay wings forming entrance courtyard to west. Service
blocks to north-east and chapel adjoining to south-east. 2 storeys
and attic over basement with 2-storey wings. Central block: chamfered-
rusticated plinth, chamfered quoins to end bays, plat band between
ground and first-floor windows, enriched modillion cornice, dentil
cornice to attic, continued across end bays as band, and parapet with
moulded cornice. Each corner tower with moulded dentil eaves cornice
and pyramidal cap with urn finial. 6 brick stacks, each with stone
frieze and moulded cornice. 1:2:3:2:1 "bays; projecting centre and
end bays. Glazing bar sashes with moulded cills, moulded lugged
architraves, and raised triple keystones. Basement windows (some
painted) with chamfered-rusticated voussoirs. Triangular-pedimented
attic windows to end bays. Projecting central frontispiece consisting
of tetrastyle Corinthian portico with cable-fluted three-quarter
columns, entablature with modillion cornice, plain dies to attic and
triangular pediment, breaking forward over dies, and with acroteria
at feet and apex with urn finials. Carved coat of armsin tympanum
with flanking swags. Central attic window with crossed palms above
and flanking carved drops. Pair of early C20 half-glazed doors with
half-H panels and doorcase of c.1900 consisting of moulded architrave,
raised triple keystone with monogram, and open and broken triangular
pediment with shield, flanking husk drops and palm fronds and half-H
panel with guttae in tympanum. Husk drops between doorcase and inner
columns. 7 stone steps with pair of flanking Sphinxes. Lead
downpipes with foliage ornament where they pass through cornice and simple
rainwater heads. Returns of towers with blind round-arched attic
panels. Flanking quadrant walls: raised c.1832-4. 3 bays. Stone
plinth, plat band, influted Doric pilaster strips, each supporting
section of triglyph frieze, moulded cornice and parapet with dies and
moulded coping. Each with central first-floor round-arched niche
with pilastered surround and flanking lugged square panels. Ground-
floor glazing bar sashes, moulded cills and gauged-brick heads with
raised triple keystones. Wings: each of 2:3 bays; formerly
symmetrical but end bays demolished c.1900 and apses rebuilt. Moulded
plinth, plat band, unfluted Doric pilaster strips, each supporting
section of triglyph frieze, moulded cornice, and parapet with dies and
moulded coping. Glazing bar sashes with moulded cills and gauged
heads with raised triple keystones. Doorways on second bays from
west; each with 3 stone steps up to pair of doors with 5 raised and
fielded panels, moulded lugged architrave, raised faceted keystone and
doorcase consisting of panelled pilaster strips, large console
brackets and segmental pediment. Lead downpipes between first and
second bays from east with moulded semi-circular rainwater heads.
Apsidal west ends, each with Doric pilaster strips and full entablature
with wreaths. First-floor round-arched windows with moulded architraves,
raised triple keystones,and bracketed cills. Central ground-floor glazing
bar sash with moulded cill and gauged heads with raised triple keystones
and flanking lugged square panels. Rear of right-hand wing also with
doorway, and with further bay to east. The remaining arched stacks to
each wing have been demolished since Oswalds country Life article of
with scrolled keystones and round-arched ground-floor windows with
grotesque masks in keystones and impost mouldings with shells beneath.
Blind windows to reveals. Ground-floor of flanking bays extended flush
with frontispiece c. 1832-4. Two-storey 3-bay end pavilions, also
of c.1832-4, each with Doric corner pilasters, cornice and parapet.
Central break with first floor square panel, the left-hand pavilion also
with ground-floor round-arched niche and angled corner. Glazed rear of southern
quadrant link with Doric pilasters and entablature. Chapel adjoining
to south-east. Red brick with grey sandstone dressings. Cruciform
plan with a tower in the north-east angle. Ina free Romanesque style.
Short arcaded link to house. Mid-C20 additions to north-east of house
in a neo-Georgian style, replacing Lewis Wyatt's 1832-4 service wing.
Small octagonal brick building to north, possibly formerly a dairy.
Interior of house: rooms and fittings dating from the more important
building periods at Hawkstone. Entrance hall: c.1900, in an early
C18 style. Screen to entrance with unfluted Doric columns and
balustrades flanking steps. Lugged panels. Wooden fireplace and
overmantel in a neo-Palladian style. Right-hand ground-floor front
room: c.1900, in an early C18 style. Ionic screens. Lugged panels
and plaster ceiling. Chimneypiece with bolection-moulded surround,
1958. East (garden) front: central projecting 3-bay frontispiece with
a Giant Doric order. Pilasters supporting architrave with buchrania
in frieze, dies to attic and triangular pediment, breaking forward
over dies, and with acroteria at feet and apex with urn finials.
Circular window in tympanum with moulded architrave. Ground and first
floors with chamfered rustication, blind first-floor square windows
Ionic pilasters, open segmental pediment and carved dropa. Staircase
hall: early C18 three-light rectangular-well cantilevered staircase
with landings; open string with carved brackets and tread ends,
barleysugar balusters (2 per tread), 4 balusters grouped to form
newels, and ramped moulded handrail. Raised and fielded dado
panelling. Reset C18 doorcase to second landing with lugged archi-
trave and open segmental pediment. Coved ceiling with c.1900 neo-
Caroline plasterwork and central oval toplight. Saloon: c.1740.
Richly decorated lugged plaster wall panels and overdoors, some with
paintings including a large painting of the siege of Namur. Arched
windows with panelled reveals and surrounds with egg and dart enrichment,
rocaille crestings and drops. Brackets between windows carrying busts.
4 side doorways with lugged architraves and bracketed cornices. End
doorcase with lugged architrave and bracketed triangular pediment.
Rich modillion cornice and frieze with relief heads of Roman emperors.
Cove with grisaille paintings against gold leaf ground. Central 3-
part ceiling with cornucopia surrounds, putti end panels and central
circular panel. Marble chimneypiece consisting of bracketed supports
with putti, heavy cornice, and wooden overmantel with term supports,
broken triangular pediment with bust, and central panel with carved
scrolled surround and painting. Present library with late C18 marble
fireplace. Ground-floor room to south-east with plaster ceiling and
neo-Rococo fireplace surround, probably by Lewis Wyatt.
Drawing room to south-east: 1832-4, by Lewis Wyatt in a Louis XIV style.
Rich plasterwork including wall panels and ceiling with cartouches and
panels of various shapes. Doorcases with lugged architraves and
cornices; large doorcase with triangular pediment on heavy consoles.
Pelmets. Southern quadrant link: coved ceiling with circular panels
at each end. Circular staircase to first floor of south-west wing
consisting of 4 curved lower steps and 2 sweeping upper flights with
cast-iron balustrade. Former library in first-floor of south-west
wing: c.1900. Fluted Corinthian pilasters. Ceiling with Rococo
decoration in coves and central panel with guilloche-type ornament.
Marble fireplace with pedimented wooden overmantel (possibly reset
c.1700). Three-bay antal screen. Marble-clad apse consisting of
Ionic columns in antis with floral-carved spiral banding. Banded
dome and arched reveals to windows. The right-hand wing formerly
contained the chapel, replaced on the ground-floor with a swimming
pool after the c.1900 alterations. For more detailed accounts of the
complex architectural history of the house see the articles by Oswald
and Gomme. Hawkstone Hall was the family home of the Hill family.
The house stands within an important and spectacular late C18 park.
Much of the park, which includes a number of ornamental buildings and
other structures, lies in the adjoining parish (See under Weston-under-
Redcastle C.P.) Arthur Oswald, Country Life, March 27, 1958, pp. 640-3 and
April 3, 1958, pp. 698-701; Andor Gomme, Archaelogical Journal, Vol.
141 (1984), pp. 309-325; B.O.E., pp. 143-4, Ed. Peter Reid, Burkes
and Savills Guide to Country Houses. Vol. II. Herefordshire, Shropshire,
Warwickshire, and Worcestershire, pp. 92-3.
Listing NGR: SJ5813829930
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.