Description: School House
Date Listed: 25 February 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 260242
OS Grid Reference: SJ5925029560
OS Grid Coordinates: 359250, 329560
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8620, -2.6067
HODNET C.P. SCHOOL LANE (South side)
11/86 School House
Shown on O.S. map as No. 1.
House, latterly school and schoolhouse. Mid-to late C15 with c.1600
alterations. Early C18 and late C19 alterations and additions. Timber
framed, of cruck construction; largely rebuilt and extended in painted
brick with painted dressed sandstone plinth and quoins. C20 machine
tile roof. Remains of former hall house of 2 or 3 bays, extended or
rebuilt to left in the C18 and extended to the right in the C19. One
storey and attic. Central brick ridge stack. C19 brick ridge stack
off-centre to right with 2 shafts and integral brick end stack to left.
Altered C17 timber framed gabled eaves dormer off-centre to left with
shaped barge boards and C19 or C20 two-light wooden casement; C19
gabled semi-dormer to left with shaped barge boards and 2-light wooden-
casement. 4-window front; C19 segmental-headed 2- and 3-light leaded
wooden and wooden-framed metal casement. Boarded door between first and
second windows from right with C19 or C20 gabled timber porch. School
room adjoining at right angles to right with plinth, segmental-headed
3-light window (reduced from larger square window - see returned hood-
mould above) to front and segmental-headed boarded door in left-hand
return. Altered C17 timber framed dormer at rear with chamfered
bressumer. Interior: 2 full cruck trusses (one with Alcock apex-type
G). Roof with staggered purlins. Central ground-floor room with a
pair of chamfered and stopped beams and plain and chamfered and stopped
joists. Large open fireplace with chamfered lintel. Square-panelled
timber framed cross wall dividing central and left-hand ground-floor rooms.
Right-hand ground-floor room with chamfered spine beam. The ceiling
of the central room and the large stack are probably insertions of c.1600.
The open hall either formerly consisted only of this central bay or was
larger by one bay to either side. There is no clear evidence. The left
hand bay is either a C18 rebuilding of an earlier timber framed bay or
completely new C18 addition. The S.M.R. description refers to the date
1702 in the brickwork near the front door but this was not noted at the
time of survey (April 1986). The eaves of the left hand part have been
raised, probably at some time in the late C19 (see change from painted
sandstone quoins to painted imitation quoins on brickwork). Shropshire
S.M.R. No. 17178. Alcock, p. 96.
Listing NGR: SJ5925029560
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.