British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter, Stoke upon Tern

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: II
Date Listed: 10 February 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 260259

OS Grid Reference: SJ6381627979
OS Grid Coordinates: 363816, 327979
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8481, -2.5387

Location: Stoke upon Tern, Shropshire TF9 2EZ

Locality: Stoke upon Tern
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: TF9 2EZ

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SJ 6227-6327
14/103 Church of Saint Peter

Parish church. 1874-5, on an earlier site. Red sandstone ashlar with
plain tile roofs. 3-bay nave and 2-bay chancel, 3-bay south aisle and 2-bay
south chapel; tower at west end of south aisle and vestry to north of chancel.
Decorated style. Tower: 2 stages. Double-moulded plinth, moulded string
course and parapet string and battlemented parapet with moulded coping. Angle
buttresses with chamfered offsets and square stair turret to south-west with
chamfered rectangular openings and octagonal top stage with moulded parapet string
and battlemented parapet with moulded coping. Louvered belfry openings of 2
trefoil-headed lights with panelled Y-tracery and chamfered reveals. Chamfered
trefoil-headed lancet opening below belfry opening to west and 3 chamfered trefoil-
headed openings below belfry opening to north. First stage south and west
windows each of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil in tracery and chamfered
reveals. Clock below belfry openings to east and south. Nave, chancel,
aisle and chapel: coved plinth, buttresses with chamfered offsets (diagonal
at corners), painted rafter ends and coped parapeted gable ends with crosses at
apices. South aisle: windows of trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoils in
tracery and hollow-chamfered reveals. South doorway in left-hand bay consisting
of continuously-moulded arch with fillet and pair of boarded doors with
elaborate strap hinges. Timber framed gabled porch; stone plinth with coved
top, chamfered timbers with broach stops, and brackets supporting gable; pairs
of trefoil-headed lights with cinquefoils in spandrels above flanking chamfered
archway with inserted C20 boarded doors and tympanum. Windows in side walls of
2+2+3 trefoil-headed lights. Interior of porch with 3 chamfered arch-braced
collar trusses and side benches. South aisle chapel: square-headed windows
of 2 and 3 square-headed lights, with small trefoil above each light and
hollow-chamfered reveals. Moulded Caernarvon-arched doorway to left; boarded
door with strap hinges. East window of 3 stepped trefoil-headed lights,
with small trefoils above each light, moulded reveals and hoodmould with
uncarved stops. Nave: gabled sanctus bellcote at east end with chamfered-
arched opening. Windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights, outer 2 with small trefoil
above each light and Y-tracery and centre one with geometrical tracery; chamfered
reveals. Tall west window of 2 trefoil-headed lights with 3 quatrefoils in
tracery and hollow-chamfered reveals. Chancel: short high-up east window of
5 stepped trefoil-headed lights, with small trefoil above each light, moulded
reveals and hoodmould with uncarved stops. Vestry to north of chancel: stack
with chamfered sides and circular shaft with moulded base and cap. East and
west windows consisting of a pair of trefoil-headed lights. North doorway
consisting of continuously-moulded arch with fillet and broach stops, and
boarded door with strap hinges. Interior: well-proportioned and finely
detailed. 3-bay have arcade consisting of octagonal piers with moulded capitals
and bases, and double-chamfered arches, continuing down to the ground and
partly dying into the responds to the west. Double-chamfered chancel
arch, inner chamfer springing from moulded corbels. Double-chamfered
vestry archway, outer chamfer continuous and inner chamfer dying into responds.
Continuously-chamfered vestry north doorway. Double-chamfered south-chapel arch,
inner chamfer springing from moulded corbels. 2-bay arcade between chancel and
chapel consisting of octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals and
double-chamfered arches, continuous to ground at each end. Continuous
double-chamfered tower arch with soffit dying into responds. Caernarvon arched-
boarded doorway to stair turret. Double-chamfered organ arch to north,
dying into responds to right and continuous to ground to left with soffit
dying into responds. Nave and aisle with hollow chamfered rear arches.
Chancel and chapel with moulded rear arches. Moulded trefoiled piscina in
chancel. Moulded cill string to east window of chancel. 7-bay nave roof
and 5-bay chancel roof with chamfered arch-braced trusses, pairs of chamfered
purlins and ashlar pieces. 4-bay chancel roof of a hybrid design with
chamfered arch-braced trusses, trussed rafters and collar purlin. Trussed
rafter roof to south chapel. Ringing chamber floor in tower with chamfered
beams. Rich and complete fittings, mostly dating from 1874-5 with detail
picked out in red and gold. Carved wooden screens to vestry, south
chapel and between chancel and south chapel, with pierced ogee tracery and
billet-ornamented top rails. More elaborate chancel screen consisting of
central opening with cusped ogee head and pierced panelled tracery, side
lights with pierced cusping and traceried panels beneath, posts with crocketed
pinnacles, and billet-ornamented top rail with pierced cresting; elaborately-
carved wooden rood cross in the form of a tree. Returned choir stalls with
traceried panels, poppyheads and, carved handrests, including pelican, crow,
lamb, fox or dog etc. Carved wooden altar rails. Plain altar with low
carved wooden reredos. Carved C17 chair. Hexagonal wooden pulpit with
linenfold panels, moulded top rail, and stone base. Altar and low reredos
in south chapel with carved and billet-ornamented cill band above. Complete
set of pews with carved Maltese cross at ends-of each. Octagonal stone font
with 2 steps, chamfered base, stem with square fleurons, bowl with alternate
carved traceried panels and circular traceried motifs, and tall wooden cover
with cresting to base, traceried panels and large poppyhead finial. Parish
chest dated "WM WP/CW/1681" with raised and fielded panels, carved ornament
and top with moulded edge. Large organ case with crocketed finials.
Monuments: alabaster chest tomb to Sir Reginald Corbet, Justice of the King's
Bench (d 1566) and his wife; 2 x 3 bays divided by twisted balusters with
standing figures and heraldic ornament to sides and ends; inscription around
top and a pair of recumbent effigies with traces of colour. Various late
C18 and early C19 memorial tablets. Stained glass: early work by Kempe
(1876) in both east windows. There is a copy of a drawing of the old church.
A church and a priest at Stoke are mentioned in the Domesday Book. The present
church is an ambitious building, notable for its complete late C19 fixtures
and fittings. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of
Shropshire, Part 8, pp 728-9; B.O.E., p.297.

Listing NGR: SJ6381627979

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.