Description: Shropshire Union Canal Bridge Number 57 (High Bridge)
Date Listed: 25 February 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 260286
OS Grid Reference: SJ6971730708
OS Grid Coordinates: 369717, 330708
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8730, -2.4513
SUTTON UPON TERN C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
SJ 63 SE
3/127 Bridge No. 57
- (High Bridge)
Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers.
Dressed red sandstone with rock-faced and tooled ashlar dressings. Very tall
elliptical arch with voussoirs, and raised impost blocks and keystone. Flat
string course, and parapet with square end piers and rounded coping. Slightly
battered and curved abutments. The bridge spans the canal within a deep
cutting. This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and
Liverpool Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835), which was absorbed by
the Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the Shrop-
shire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands, pp.
183-9. Thomas Pellow and Paul Bowen, The Shroppie, A Portrait of the Shropshire
Union Canal, (1985).
Listing NGR: SJ6971730708
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.