Description: Bridge Number 69 Adderley Wharf Bridge
Date Listed: 5 June 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 260313
OS Grid Reference: SJ6704239145
OS Grid Coordinates: 367042, 339145
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9487, -2.4919
SJ 63 NE ADDERLEY C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
6/10 Bridge No. 69 (Adderley
- Wharf Bridge)
Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton,
engineers. Dressed red/yellow sandstone with tooled ashlar dressings.
Elliptical arch with voussoirs and flush keystones. Chamfered string
and parapet with square end piers and rounded coping. Slightly battered
and curved abutments. Cast-iron corner posts on towpath side with
grooves formed by rope haulage. Oval cast-iron number plate to south.
This stretch of canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool
Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835) which was absorbed by the
Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the
Shropshire Union in 1846. This bridge is slightly different from most
on this stretch of the canal as it is not humped-backed but spans the
short cutting at an angle to the horizontal. The bridge marks the
top end of the Adderley flight of locks. Charles Hadfield, The Canals
of the West Midlands, pp. 183-9.
Listing NGR: SJ6704239145
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.