If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: The Grove
Date Listed: 7 May 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 260399
OS Grid Reference: SJ6604633389
OS Grid Coordinates: 366046, 333389
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8969, -2.5062
SJ 63 SE MARKET DRAYTON C.P. STAFFORD STREET
9/94 The Grove
House, now schoolbuilding. Circa 1770, for Colonel Thomas D'Avenant.
Red brick with gauged orange brick dressings, rendered plinth and
some painted stone details. Hipped plain tile roof. Double-pile
plan with semi-circular bow to south-east, flanking canted bays to
sides and service wing to north-east. 2 storeys and attic. South-
west (garden) front: plinth, ground-floor cill band, fluted plat
band, modillion cornice ,and parapet with moulded stone coping. Pair
of brick ridge stacks. 1:3:1 bays with central full-height bow window;
glazing bar sashes with painted stone cills and gauged-brick heads.
Central first floor Venetian window with cill, fluted piers supporting
entablature with fluted frieze and moulded architrave to central light.
C18 lead downpipes in angles of bow with fluted rainwater heads.
Left-hand return (entrance) front: 2:3 bays with full-height half-
octagonal bay to right. Doorway in second bay from left consisting
of C18 door with 6 octagonal panels, impost band, radial fanlight,
octagonal-panelled reveals and soffit, moulded architrave amd Doric
doorcase consisting of fluted three-quarter columns supporting sections
of entablature and open triangular pediment. 3 stone steps up with
low stone retaining wall to left. Right-hand return front of 3:2
bays,also with full-height half-octangonal bay to left. 3:3 bays
to rear. 2-stony former service wing adjoining to north-east.
3 brick ridge stacks. 9 x 2 bays; glazing bar sashes with gauged-
brick heads. Interior: largely complete of c.1770. Entrance corridor
with fluted pilaster strips and 5-bay groined vault. Round archway
to staircase hall with fluted pilaster strips, moulded architrave
and panelled reveals and soffit. Central ground-floor front room:
oval plan. Dado panelling. Frieze with palmette enrichment and
modillion cornice with paterae. C18 fireplace. Pair of round-
arched recesses flanking curved 6-panelled door at rear. Left-hand
ground-floor-rear room (former library): central elliptical archway
with fluted pilasters, moulded architrave, scrolled key,and panelled
reveals and soffit. Arched cupboards flanking former fireplace on
end wall, with ogee-headed pigeon-holes and moulded architraves.
Staircase hall: ground-floor with fluted frieze and moulded cornice,
and first floor entablature with saltire and anthemion enrichment,
modillion cornice with paterae, and acanthus enrichment above. C18
three-flight rectangular-well oak staircase with loadings, open string
with cut brackets, stick balusters (probably replacing former turned
balusters) ramped moulded handrail and wreathed foot reveal. Ramped
dado panelling. C18 dog-leg back staircase with landings, open string
with cut brackets, stick balusters and ramped handrail. First-floor
corridor with fluted frieze and moulded cornice. Round archway to
staircase hall with fluted pilaster strips, moulded architrave and
panelled reveals and soffit. Central first-floor front room: oval
plane Dado panelling. Frieze with amphora and enrichment depicting
musical instruments, modillion cornice with paterae, and acanthus,
enrichment above. Venetian window with Roman Doric columns and pilasters
supporting entablature with mutules and cornice. Pair of scalloped
round-arched niches in opposite wall, each with central medallion
and radiating husk trails to paterae. Central curved 6-panelled
door with moulded architrave and panelled reveals. C18 fireplace
with marble surround, three-quarter Corinthian columns, architrave
with garlands, husk drops, swags and medallions, enriched frieze with
paterae and buchrania to sections broken forward over columns, and
modillion cornice.Left-hand first-floor rear room: C18 fireplace
consisting of pilaster strips with drops, and brackets supporting
frieze with anthemion and palmette ornament, oval paterae above pilasters,
and enriched cornice. C18 six-panelled doors throughout, many retaining
their C18 door furniture. In 1751 Colonel Thomas D'Avenant married
Lady Ann Corbet of Adderley and in the 1770's The Grove was built
for them. The Colonel died in 1798 and the house was sold. The
house has some stylistic similarities to Barlaston Hall (c.1756) near
Stoke-on-Trent, probably by Sir Robert Taylor. The plan form, with
a bow and 2 canted bays, and other details, like the octagonal panels
in the door, are particularly reminiscent. It is possible that,
if it is not actually by Taylor himself, The Grove is by a craftsman
who worked at Barlaston or by an architect who was familiar with it.
B.o.E,(Staffordshire), p. 65.
Listing NGR: SJ6604633389
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.