Description: Shropshire Union Canal Bridge Number 67 Bettoncoppice Turnover Bridge
Date Listed: 5 June 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 260444
OS Grid Reference: SJ6707338084
OS Grid Coordinates: 367073, 338084
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9391, -2.4914
SJ 63 NE NORTON IN HALES C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
6/138 Bridge No. 67 (Betton-
coppice Turnover Bridge)
Canal bridge. Circa 1830. Thomas Telford and Alexander Easton, engineers.
Dressed red/grey sandstone with tooled dressings. Accommodation bridge
combined with roving towpath bridge. Elliptical arch with voussoirs
and flush keystone. Humped-back shape with chamfered string course
and parapet with square end piers (to north only) and rounded coping.
Slightly battered and curved abutments. The towpath part of the bridge
is divided from the accommodation part by a stone wall and is approached
by ramps from the south. Cast-iron corner posts on towpath side with
groovescaused by rope haulage. C20 oval metal number plate to south.
This stretch of the canal was built as part of the Birmingham and Liverpool
Junction Canal (Act passed 1826, opened 1835) which was absorbed by the
Ellesmere and Chester Canal in 1845 and eventually became part of the
Shropshire Union in 1846. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West
Midlands, pp. 183-9.
Listing NGR: SJ6707338084
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.