British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of the Holy Trinity, Ightfield

Description: Church of the Holy Trinity

Grade: II
Date Listed: 20 August 1971
English Heritage Building ID: 260555

OS Grid Reference: SJ6032237241
OS Grid Coordinates: 360322, 337241
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9311, -2.5917

Location: Calverhall Road, Ightfield, Shropshire SY13 4PL

Locality: Ightfield
County: Shropshire
Country: England
Postcode: SY13 4PL

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Listing Text

SJ 63 NW
6/4 Church of the Holy
20.8.71 Trinity

Parish church. Dated 1872, by William Eden Nesfield for John Pemberton
Heywood; nave and tower dated 1878, also by Nesfield for Anna Maria
Pemberton Heywood in memory of her husband. Tooled snecked yellow/grey
sandstone ashlar with untooled dressings. Plain tile roofs. 4-bay
nave with north aisle, north transept and short south transept, chancel
with north chapel and vestry to south,and north-west tower with porch
beneath. In a Decorated/Perpendicular Gothic style. Tower: 3 stages.
Chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses to halfway up belfry with chamfered
offsets (that at south-east corner set at right angles to tower), chamfered
string course to belfry, moulded parapet string with carved gargoyles
at corners and other motifs, and battlemented parapet with moulded coping.
Tall octagonal stair turret in south-east corner with 3 chamfered rectang-
ular windows and string course to battlemented parapet. Pairs of belfry
openings, each of 2 cinquefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery, louvres
above and pairs of pierced quatrefoils below, moulded reveals and contin-
uous hoodmoulds. West front with only one belfry opening and square-
headed windows to first and second stages,each of 2 ogee cinquefoil-
headed lights with hollow-chamfered reveals. Boarded north door with
decorative wrought-iron strap hinges and other furniture, heavily moulded
arch, returned hoodmould, and spandrels with carved reticulated rose
motifs and moulded string above. Right-hand spandrel with carved coat
of arms with motto: "ALTE VOLO" and left-hand spandrel with superscribed
/ WIDOW ANNA MARIA / A.D. 1878". Pair of flanking cast-iron bootscrapers.
Interior of porch with stone vault consisting of chamfered ribs springing
from corner shafts with moulded bases, carved bosses and central boarded
oculus. Recess to east consisting of double-chamfered arch dying into
single-chamfered reveals and bench,and window to west with chamfered
rear arch and bench. Boarded north door to nave with decorative wrought-
iron strap hinges and other furniture, and heavily moulded arch. Boarded
door to stair turret in south-west corner, with strap hinges and moulded
arch. Clocks below belfry openings. Nave: chamfered plinth to south,
deep battered plinth to west, diagonal buttress to south-west with chamf-
fered offsets, chamfered cill string to west and clerestory, moulded
parapet string with carved motifs, and battlemented parapet with moulded
coping. Gable ends with plain parapets and finials at apices. Integral
stone stack to south with moulded cap. North side: pair of clerestory
windows to right, each of 3 stepped ogee trefoil-headed lights with
panelled tracery and hollow-chamfered reveals. South side: window
to left of 2 ogee trefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil in tracery, chamfered
reveals and hoodmould. Clerestory window to right of 3 stepped ogee
trefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery and hollow-chamfered reveals.
West end: large window of 7 cinquefoil lights (that to centre
higher with ogee head),with panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmould
with carved stops., a lion to left and a dragon or other beast to right
(cf. south window, Church of Saint John the Baptist,Ightfield C.P.)
Carved winged angel beneath finial at apex of gable and carved gargoyle
to right-hand corner. North aisle: chamfered plinth, moulded cill
string, moulded parapet string with carved motifs and stops, and battle-
mented parapet with moulded coping. Pair of segmental-arched windows,
each of 2 ogee trefoil-headed lights with panelled tracery and hollow-
chamfered reveals. North transept and north chapel: chamfered plinth,
buttresses with chamfered offsets, chamfered cill string, and 2 parapeted
gables with copings and finials. Central valley gutter and cast-iron
rainwater head with 'pie' or disc ornament, diverting water to left of
central buttress. Transept to right has window of 3 stepped trefoil-
headed lights and hoodmould with carved cornucopiasas stops. Boarded
door to right with wrought-iron strap hinges, moulded reveals and lintel
dated: "A.M.H. 1872". Chapel to left has window of 2 trefoil-headed
lights with trefoiled Y-tracery, chamfered reveals and hoodmould.
Window in left-hand return front with 2 trefoil-headed lights, geometrical
tracery with trefoiled circle, chamfered reveals and hoodmould. North
transept: short chamfered cill string and parapeted gable end. Window
with trefoil-headed lights, geometrical tracery with trefoiled circle
and hoodmould. Chancel: plinth, continuous chamfered cill string,
buttresses to east with chamfered offsets and parapeted gable end with
cross at apex. East window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with geom-
etrical tracery incorporating trefoils and central quatrefoil, moulded
reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. North window with 3 trefoil-
headed lights, intersecting tracery with trefoils, chamfered reveals
and hoodmould. South window with 2 cinquefoil-headed lights, geometrical
tracery with trefoiled circle, chamfered reveals, and hoodmould. Vestry:
plinth, chamfered string course, parapeted gable with coping and finial,
and integral corner stack to south-west consisting of circular shaft
with chamfered base and moulded cap. 2 windows of 3 trefoil-headed
lights,with chamfered mullions and reveals. East side has small window
to right with trefoil-headed light in chamfered recess, and boarded
door to left with wrought-iron strap hinges, moulded arch and hoodmould
with carved stops. Cast battlemented rainwater head with 'pie' or
disc ornament. Interior: complete fixtures and fittings of c.1872-
8. Nave with moulded cill string to clerestory. 4-bay nave roof;
moulded stone string course at top of wall with billet-ornamented wooden
wall plate above; trusses with billet-ornamented tie-beams, and arched
braces springing from wooden shafts with moulded capitals and bases
and resting on carved stone corbels; king posts with carved winged angels
at feet and flanking struts, pierced trefoil-arched spandrels,
moulded ridge-piece with longitudinal bracing,and single moulded purlins.
Clerestory windows with moulded rear arches and chamfered reveals.
West window with double hollow-chamfered rear arch dying into single-
chamfered reveals. South window opposite north door with double hollow-
chamfered rear arch, and moulded segmental-arched recess with chamfered
reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. North door with hollow-cham-
fered rear arch. 2-bay north aisle arcade consisting of octagonal
piers with moulded bases and capitals, moulded arches and hoodmoulds
with carved foliage stops; hollow-chamfered left-and right-hand reveals.
Lean-to aisle roof with moulded stone wall plate, moulded rafters with
curved braces springing from carved stone corbels, and moulded purlins.
Aisle windows with moulded segmental rear arches. Double chamfered
arches to transepts, the outer continuous and the inner springing from
short half-colonnettes with moulded capitals and carved foliage corbels;
hoodmoulds with carved foliage stops. Double-chamfered arches between
north transept and chapel and aisle, with continuous outer chamfer and
inner chamfer dying into reveals. North transept and chapel with ceilied roofs
and moulded and billet-ornamented wall plates. North window of transept
with chamfered cinquefoiled rear arch and north door with chamfered
rear arch. Moulded chancel arch springing from short colonnettes with
moulded capitals and reeded tapered stone corbels, continuous outer
moulding becoming chamfer halfway down reveals, and hoodmould with carved
foliage stops. Arch between chancel and north chapel, with chamfered
cinquefoil cusping, inner moulding dying into reveals, stilted outer
ovolo moulding and hoodmould with carved stops. Boarded vestry door
with wrought-iron strap hinges, moulded arch dying into slightly less
heavily moulded reveals and hoodmould with carved stops. Sedilia beneath
south window with chamfered reveals, central moulded stone arm rest
and 5 carved discs or 'pies' to back. Double piscina to north consisting
of 2 moulded trefoil arches with carved foils, 2 carved discs or 'pies'
on wall behind and 2 sexfoil bowls. Chancel windows with chamfered
rear arches. Trussed-rafter chancel roof with string course at wall
plate level. Vestry has 2-bay tie-beam roof with arched braces springing
from stone corbels. Vestry door with chamfered rear arch. Fittings:
mainly c.1872-78. Plain wooden altar table with reredos formed by
hangings on 3 sides supported by octagonal posts with moulded capitals
and bases and longitudinal members with brattishing. Dado panelling
to east end with ogee trefoil-traceried panels and carved vine-trail
frieze. Altar rails; wooden rail with wrought-iron supports. Choir
stalls with billet and other carved ornament and wrought-iron stall
front. 5-bay wooden screen to north chapel consisting of pierced trefoil
arches with carved spandrels, and carved frieze with billet-ornamented
top rail. Organ to south has pipes painted with discs or 'pies' etc;
open 5-bay wooden screen below consisting of pierced trefoil arches
with carved spandrels, coving above with gilded embossed leatherwork
and frieze with billet ornamented top. Rear of organ in vestry with
pierced quatrefoil panels, moulded cornice, and door with ornamental
butterfly hinges, pierced quatrefoils, carved frieze moulded cornice
and billet-ornamented top rail. Low chancel screen consisting of
stone wall with moulded coping and wrought-iron work above, returning
to central steps. Oak dado panelling to nave. C19 pews. Circular
stone pulpit consisting of octagonal stem with moulded base, lower carved
panels with 'pies', central band of carved apples, trefoil-headed marble
panels above and billet-ornamented top rail; 5 stone steps up. Wooden
lectern with carved and panelled hexagonal base, moulded circular stem,
and triangular-section top with carved foliage, pierced trefoils, billet
ornament etc., one end inscribed: "LAUS DEO" and the other: "IN EXCELSIS";
pair of attached brass candlesticks. War memorial on south wall of
nave with canopied niches etc. Octagonal stone font on dots at west
end consisting of circular stem with octagonal base, bowl with carved
panels including inscriptions and shield dated 1877, and inscriptions
FOR OF SUCH IS THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN"; plain wooden cover. Gothic
table in north chapel. Encaustic tiles to choir. Wooden floors elsewhere
with tiled aisles. Stained glass in chancel windows, chapel windows,
transept windows and west window. Stained glass in south window of
chancel by William Morris and Bmne-30nes, c.1875. A chapel is first recorded
at Calverhall in 1730 (churchwardens' accounts). It was first rebuilt
in 1843 for John Whitehall Dod. Nesfield designed the present Cloverley
Hall (q.v.), c.1864-70, for John Pemberton Heywood, a Livepool banker
who bought the estate from the Dod family c.1864. The church is attached
to a range of almshouses (q.v.) to the south and a lychgate (q.v.) to
the north, and forms part of a striking group in the village of Calverhall.
The church is aligned north-east/south-west but this description refers
to liturgical north, south etc. B.o.E., p. 93; D.H.S. Cranage, An
Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, 668; Mark
Girouard, The Victorian Country House (London, 1979), pp. 72 and 402.

Listing NGR: SJ6032237241

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.