Description: 1-6, Church Terrace
Date Listed: 1 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 260557
OS Grid Reference: SJ6032937224
OS Grid Coordinates: 360329, 337224
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9309, -2.5916
IGHTFIELD C.P. CALVERHALL
SJ 63 NW
6/6 Nos. 1-6 (consec.), Church
Row of almshouses. Mid-C18 with some late C20 alterations and additions.
Red brick with machine tile roof. L-plan (truncated U-plan). One
storey and attic, over basement to right. Plinth to right and parapeted
gable ends to right-hand wing with shaped stone kneelers and stone coping.
3 brick ridge stacks. 4:4:4:1 bays. Central gabled break with two
C20 two-light wooden attic casements sndpairsof flanking gabled dormers
with 2-light wooden casements. Ground-floor wooden cross windows with
painted stone cills and tumbled brick heads (second window from left
replaces former doorway - see straight joints beneath). C20 glazed
doors in third, sixth, seventh, tenth and eleventh bays from left, each
with C20 flat-roofed glazed porch. Projecting right-hand wing with
wooden cross window to ground floor and attic,and small basement opening
beneath. Carved stone coat of arms in central gable with motto and
restored stone plaque below with inscription: "TO THE MEMORY OF WILLIAM
KENLEY [or KERR?]/ .... HIS WIFE THIS BUILDING / BY HER ERECTED AND
ENDOWED / ANNO DOM 17..". Further granite plaque below, inscribed:
"TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN MEMORY OF / JOHN PEMBERTON HEYWOOD / AND
ANNA MARIA HIS WIFE / THE ENDOWMENT OF THESE ALMSHOUSES / WAS IN ACCORDANCE
WITH HER WISHES INCURRED / IN THE YEAR 1887 BY THE SUM OF £1400".
Left-hand return front of right-hand wing with evidence of blocked former
doorway (see straight joints). Right-hand return front: pair of gabled
eaves dormers with 2-light C20 wooden casements. Pair of ground-floor
cross windows (left-hand one formerly a door - see straight joints beneath)
flanking C20 glazed door. Segmental-headed basement door to left.
Outshut at rear with C20 flat-roofed additions. Interiors not inspected.
Cranage states that the almshouses were founded in 1724 by Katherine
Kerr. The present buildings may date from that time but the inscription
was partly illegible at the time of survey (October 1986). The corres-
ponding left-hand wing was demolished when the Church of the Holy Trinity
(q.v.) was rebuilt, attached to the north-west, in 1872 and 1878 to
the designs of William Eden Nesfield. D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural
Account of the Churches of Shropshire, Part 8, p. 668.
Listing NGR: SJ6032937224
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.