Description: Dearnford Hall
Date Listed: 1 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 260580
OS Grid Reference: SJ5443638905
OS Grid Coordinates: 354436, 338905
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9456, -2.6795
WHITCHURCH RURAL C.P. TILSTOCK ROAD (east side)
SJ 53 NW
4/29 Dearnford Hall
Farmhouse. Circa 1680-1700; mid-C19 refenestration and alterations.
Red brick with grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Hipped graded slate roof.
L-plan. 2 storeys and attic. Moulded stone plinth, chamfered stone
quoins, flat stone string course, and moulded and carved wooden modillion
eaves cornice. Brick ridge stack off-centre to left and truncated lateral
external- brick stack to right at rear. 2:1:1:1:2 bays, with central one-bay bank;
mid-C19 six-pane margin-light sashes with moulded stone architraves.
Central door with 6 raised and fielded panels and early C19 doorcase with
panelled pilaster strips, frieze and cornice. Circa 1680-1700 porch
with moulded stone plinth, chamfered stone quoins, moulded stone eaves
cornice and triangular-pedimented gable with carved stone cartouche and
grotesque head in tympanum. Entrance with lugged moulded stone architrave.
Two semi-circular stone steps up to entrance. Interior with side benches.
Lean-to addition in angle at rear with integral lateral brick stack.
Interior: mostly remodelled in the mid-C19. Entrance hall with picture
rail, moulded cornice, and cased beams with panelled soffits. blid-C19
marble fireplace with fluted pilasters and tiled reveals. Entrance hall
separated from staircase to right probably in the late C18; doorway to
staircase with moulded architrave and Gothic arch. Late C17 dog-leg
oak staircase with moulded closed string, barleysugar balusters, moulded
handrail and panelled square newel posts with finials and pendants.
Late C17 doorway to right-hand room at foot of staircase with bolection-
moulded architrave, panelled surround and moulded cornice. Other rooms
with moulded picture rails and cornices. Fireplace in left-hand ground-
floor room with lugged architrave. 6-panelled doors throughout. In
the B.o.E. volume for Shropshire Pevsner dates the building c.1840 but
closer inspection reveals it to be late C17 with some mid-C19 alterations
(margin-light sashes etc.).
Listing NGR: SJ5443638905
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.