Description: The Old Grammar School Buildings and Flats 1-7 the Old School House
Date Listed: 1 March 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 260586
OS Grid Reference: SJ5403641784
OS Grid Coordinates: 354036, 341784
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9714, -2.6859
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. BARGATES (north-east
7/34 and 8/34 No. 15, The Old Grammar
- School Buildings, and
Flats 1-7, The Old
Grammar School, now store, offices and divided into flats. Dated 1848
(rainwater heads), extended in the early C20. Four separate blocks,
consisting of the main block with hall, former science block to its right,
probable former schoolmaster's house to left and probable former coach house
to far left. In a Neo-Jacobean style. Main block: red brick with blue
brick diapering and yellow/grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Slate roof.
T-plan with 3-bay projecting cross wing (hall) to right. One storey and
attic and 2 storeys. Chamfered plinth, moulded ground-floor cill string to
right forming continuous hoodmould to left, moulded stone cornice, parapet
with moulded coping and square corner pinnacles with ogee caps, and shaped
gables to cross wing with finials at apices. Lateral stack to left of
cross wing consisting of octagonal brick shaft with moulded cap. Hall to
right has full-height canted bay with 1-:3-:1- light moulded mullioned
and transomed stone window, patterned cast-iron glazing bars, frieze and
moulded cornice, and balustrade above to 2-light chamfered stone attic
window with dripstone. Left-hand range of 3 bays. First-floor
square oriel with 3-light mullioned and transomed stone window and flanking
one-light windows. Ground-floor with stone cross window to right, central
one-light window and door to left with 3 tall panels, 2-part rectangular
overlight and chamfered reveals. Right-hand return front of 3 bays with tall
2-light moulded mullioned and transomed stone windows. Dated cast-iron
rainwater head to left. Rear of hall range with tall 3-light mullioned and
transomed stone window. Gateway adjoining right-hand side consisting of
nail-studded door with 3-tall panels, moulded Tudor archway, moulded
string course above and shaped gable with carved coat of arms and datestone
(illegible at time of survey - November 1986), and tall obelisk finial.
Gateway links main block with former science block: red brick with blue
brick diapering and yellow/grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Hipped slate
roof with glazed centre. 2 storeys. Chamfered plinth, moulded cill
strings, moulded string course, moulded cornice and parapet with moulded
coping. Pair of integral lateral brick stacks to rear, each consisting of
3 octagonal shafts with moulded stone caps. 4 bays; 3-light moulded
mullioned and transomed stone windows with cast-iron patterned glazing
bars. 6-panelled door to left with rectangular overlight and 3-light
window above. Former schoolmaster's house: now flats. Red brick with
some grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys.
Chamfered plinth, moulded string course between ground and first floors,
and parapet with moulded coping. Dentil brick eaves cornice to the left-
hand side. Pair of brick integral lateral stacks to left and pair of
stacks to right at rear, consisting of grouped square shafts with chamfered
corners, chamfered stone bases and moulded stone caps. 1:1:1 bays; pair
of full-height square bays with shaped kneelers and shaped gables with
obelisk finials and obelisks at Feet. 3-:2-:3- light wooden mullioned and
transomed windows with cast-iron patterned glazing bars and chamfered
reveals. Link to main block set back to right with first-floor- cross
window and 6-panelled door with moulded stone architrave. Full-height
canted bay to rear with 2- and 3-light mullioned and transomed windows.
Former coach house to left: red brick with grey sandstone ashlar dressings.
2 storeys. Chamfered plinth and parapeted gable end to front with shaped
kneelers, moulded stone coping, and obelisks at left. Integral lateral
brick stack to left consisting of 2 square shafts with chamfered corners,
chamfered stone base and moulded cap. One 2-light wooden casement to
each floor, with cast-iron patterned glazing bars and chamfered reveals.
Chamfered narrow rectangular opening in apex of gable. C20 doorway to
right (Both the ground-floor door and window inserted in the late C20,
replacing large doors). Late C20 addition at rear. Short link wall
to right with chamfered stone plinth and moulded stone coping, stepped up
to centre. Central chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with dripstone and
nail-studded door with 4 tall panels and strap hinges. Interior of main
block. Hall with 3-bay ceiling consisting of moulded tie-beams resting
on large scrolled brackets, moulded cross beams with carved bosses.
Strapwork to the soffit of the front bay. Moulded architraves.
Interiors of other blocks not inspected. Whitchurch Grammar School was
founded in 1548 by the Rev. Sir John Talbot and opened in 1550. The
oldest building on the site now is No. 13, Bargates (q.v.) to the south-
east, which is dated 1708. The 1848 blocks might be on the site of
earlier buildings. B.O.E., p. 314; R.B. James, Whitchurch - A short
history, P. 9.
Listing NGR: SJ5403941781
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.