Description: Former Presbyterian Chapel Approximately 12 Metres to South West of Number 7 (The Old House)
Date Listed: 31 October 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 260610
OS Grid Reference: SJ5425741304
OS Grid Coordinates: 354257, 341304
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9671, -2.6825
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. DODINGTON (south-west
SJ 54260 41304 side)
8/56 Former Presbyterian
Chapel approx. 12 metres
to south-west of No. 7
(The Old House)
Presbyterian chapel, latterly school, dance hall and builders store, now
disused. 1716, with late C19 alterations and additions. Red brick,
rendered to front, with some stone dressings. Hipped plain tile roof
with gablets. Moulded stone plinth and chamfered stone quoins to front.
Tall external brick lateral stack at rear. Pair of segmental-headed
windows to front with round-relieving arches above (visible internally)
and C19 two-light wooden casements. Doorway to left with pegged frame.
All now obscured by C19 lean-to addition with 2-light wooden casements to
left and central recessed pair of C19 panelled doors with round-arched
overlight. 4 steps up to door. C19 lean-to addition to left-hand return
front too. Pair of segmental-headed windows at rear (heads rebuilt in late
C19) with round relieving arches above and C19 two-light wooden casements.
Interior: moulded wooden dado rail and moulded wooden cornice. Plaster
ceiling with deep cove to central rectangular panel. This building replaced
the previous meeting house on the site which was destroyed by a mob in 1715.
A series of C18 memorial tablets formerly in the chapel were removed in 1896
to the Congregational (United Reformed) Church (q.v.), also in Dodington,
opposite. R.C.H.M. (England), Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses
(London, 1986), pp. 205-6.
Listing NGR: SJ5425741304
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.