Description: The Smithy
Date Listed: 27 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 260745
OS Grid Reference: SJ4336319328
OS Grid Coordinates: 343363, 319328
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7686, -2.8409
BASCHURCH C.P. YEATON
SJ 41 NW
17/45 The Smithy (formerly
- listed as The Black-
Farmhouse and smithy, now house. Early C17 with smithy added in mid-
to late C18; later additions and alterations. Timber framed with painted
brick infill and painted sandstone plinth; slate roofs. Hall range of
it bays with flush single-bay gabled cross-wing to right; lower smithy
added to left in C18. 2 storeys with attic to cross-wing. Framing:
small square panels, 4 from cill to wall-plate, including to cross-wing
which has long straight tension braces and hewn jetty continued round
to right and rear; plain moulded bressumer and carved corner brackets.
Gable has queen-strut truss with upper and lower collars and boarded hatch.
Light larger square panels to former smithy, 3 from cill to wall-plate.
Three-light C20 casements, one on each floor to left of hall range and
on each floor to gable. C20 plank door to right of hall range. Red
brick stack behind ridge to right of hall range and integral end stack
to rear of cross-wing. Former smithy has 3-light C20 casement to ground
floor and gabled eaves dormer. Interior. Not inspected but likely
to be of interest.
Listing NGR: SJ4336319328
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.