Description: Tower at Ngr Sj 41066 34863
Date Listed: 25 April 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 260841
OS Grid Reference: SJ4106834864
OS Grid Coordinates: 341068, 334864
Latitude/Longitude: 52.9080, -2.8777
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. OTELEY
SJ 41066 34863
18/141 Tower at N.G.R. SJ 41066
Tower. Circa 1826 to 1842 for Charles Kynaston Mainwaring. Yellow
sandstone ashlar with red sandstone dressings; machine tile broached
spire with richly ornamented wrought-iron weathervane. Venetian style.
Rectangular section to bottom stage has decorative gable above cusped 2-
light window with bracketed stone balcony beneath to south side.
Pointed doorway to east side. Corbelled stone balcony with pierced
trefoils to balustrade all round above 2-light window,supports upper
stage which has gabled octagonal top with narrow pointed windows to
cardinal faces; stepped chamfered projections to sides between. Charles
Kynaston Mainwaring was a keen amateur gardener and he travelled extensively
on the continent. It is believed that he was personally responsible for
much of the design of the garden at Oteley and for the features therein.
His house, Oteley Park, built for him in an Elizabethan style on the site
of an earlier building between 1826 and 1830 and extended in 1842 was
demolished c.1960. B.O.E. p. 226; Peter Reid, Burke's and Savills
Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II (1980)p p. 106-7 ; Francis Leach,
The Country Seats of Shropshire (1891), pp.19-23; Mrs. Frances Stackhouse
Acton, Castles and Did Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p.58.
Listing NGR: SJ4106834864
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.