Description: Bridge Number 56 (Burns Wood Bridge)
Date Listed: 25 April 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 260855
OS Grid Reference: SJ4206333722
OS Grid Coordinates: 342063, 333722
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8978, -2.8627
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
SJ 43 SW
9/156 Bridge No. 56 (Burns Wood
Accommodation bridge. Circa 1797 to 1801 with minor later alterations on
William Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Red brick with
flat stone-coped parapet terminating in square corner piers. Elliptical
arch with projecting keybricks, flat string course and late C20 oval-shaped
plate numbered "56" on east side. This section of the Ellesmere Canal
was completed c.1801. The Ellesmere Canal Company amalgamated with the
Chester Canal Company in 1813 and became part of the Shropshire Union in
1846. Charles Hadfield, Canals of the West Midiands (3rd edn. 1985), p.
173; Edward Wilson, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal (1975), pp. 19-20.
Listing NGR: SJ4206333722
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.