Description: Pollett's Bridge (That Part in Ellesmere Rural Cp)
Date Listed: 25 April 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 260865
OS Grid Reference: SJ3487032703
OS Grid Coordinates: 334870, 332703
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8878, -2.9694
ELLESMERE RURAL C.P. SHROPSHIRE UNION CANAL
SJ 33 SW
7/168 Pollett's Bridge (that part
- in Ellesmere Rural C.P.)
Roving bridge. Circa 1801 with minor later alterations on William
Jessop's and Thomas Telford's Ellesmere Canal. Painted brick with
ceramic and brick coping ramped down to towpath approaches on east side
and terminating in corner piers on west side. Elliptical arch with string
course and round-headed recess on west side, formerly housing stop-planks
used during repairs to canal. This section of the Ellesmere Canal was
completed c.1801. The Ellesmere Canal Company amalgamated with the Chester
Canal Company in 1813 and became part of the Shropshire Union in 1846.
Charles Hadfield, Canals of the West Midlands (3rd edn. 1985), p. 173;
Edward Wilson, The Ellesmere and Llangollen Canal (1975), pp. 19-20, 57.
Listing NGR: SJ3487032703
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.