Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 27 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 260874
OS Grid Reference: SJ3812330825
OS Grid Coordinates: 338123, 330825
Latitude/Longitude: 52.8713, -2.9207
HORDLEY C.P. HORDLEY
SJ 33 SE
8/177 Church of St Mary
- (formerly listed as Church
27.5.53 of St Mary the Virgin )
Parish church. Mid-to late C12 with later alterations, restored in
1880. Roughly coursed and dressed red sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings and chamfered plinth; late C19 slate roof with lozenge patterns
to south and coped verges and foliated stone cross to east gable. Timber
framed bellcote with rendered brick infill. Nave and chancel in one
with C18 west bellcote; south porch and north-east vestry of 1880.
Nave. South side has C15 two-light cinquefoil-headed window with cusped
quatrefoil and hoodmould with carved head-stops above. Possible straight
joint below. Slightly projecting section to left has C19 three-light
square-headed Perpendicular-style window. Straight joint in line with
east wall of porch. This is of tooled ashlar with coped verges and
stone cross to gable. Pointed outer arch has circular shafts with moulded
capitals and bases; hoodmould with foliated abel-stops. Stone benches
to sides and pointed inner doorway also C19. West end has C19 two-light
Perpendicular-style window with bellcote above. This has louvred round-
headed windows to belfry and overhanging pyramidal slate cap with brass
weathercock. North side has infilled C12 round-headed doorway: single
stepped with rounded outer order and square-edged inner order, both with
moulded imposts. Moulded dripstone terminating in grotesque heads.
Two C19 buttresses flanking contemporary Perpendicular-style 3-light
window. Chancel. Partly rendered north side has gabled yellow brick
vestry projecting at right-angles with integral end stack and 3-light
window to east side. Stepped diagonal buttresses to east end which
has late C19 four-light window with reticulated tracery. Blind segmental-
pointed arch-way below. Interior. Late C19 collar-beam roof in 7
unequal bays with scissor bracing for belfry in west bay. Late C18
box pews remodelled in C19 (not enclosed on south side), some with painted
armorial shields and brass name-plates of local families; H-hinges to
doors. Cl7 square and rectangular oak panelling reused in pews and
also as wainscoting in nave, continued to south side of chancel. C18
oak pulpit on south side with raised and fielded panels. Jacobean com-
munion table and 2 Jacobean chairs in raised sanctuary which has encaustic
tiles. Late C19 painted octagonal font with painted symbols to each
side; moulded circular plinth. Stained glass. East window of 1887,
possibly by Powell's, in memory of Frances Marianne Moore, wife of Revd.
John Walter Moore. Late C19 and early C20 glass in nave. Monuments.
Chancel, south side: plain C18 marble wall memorial with armorial device
to broken segmental pediment; inscription illegible at time of resurvey
(January 1987). Nave, north and south sides: 2 late C18 wooden wall
memorials, painted to resemble stone, commemorating members of Cureton
family. Cast-iron grate to fireplace in vestry. B.o.E. p. 154; D.H.S.
Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 9 (1908), p.758.
Listing NGR: SJ3812330825
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.