If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Kingstone Farmhouse
Date Listed: 4 February 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 264121
OS Grid Reference: ST3781513669
OS Grid Coordinates: 337815, 113669
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9191, -2.8860
Explore more of the area around Kingstone, Somerset at Explore Britain.
ST31SE KINGSTONE CP KINGSTONE VILLAGE
4/37 Kingstone Farmhouse
Detached farmhouse. Early C16, reshaped C17 and later. Ham stone rubble and near ashlar, with ashlar dressings; plain
clay tiled roof with stone slate base courses between stepped coped gables; stone and brick chimney stacks. 'T'-plan; 2
storeys with attics. Entrance in west crosswing which is 3-bay: hollow-chamfer mullioned windows to upper bay 1 and
lower bays 2 and 3 (the latter of C20); blocked window upper bay 2, and 3-light C18 pattern leaded casement to upper
bay 3; to lower bay 1 an ashlar stone porch with Welsh slate roof, the doorway probably of C19. On north gable of
crosswing a 3-light hollow-chamfered mullioned window without label above, and below a l+2+l light angled bay window
with beaded mullions and flat roof; against remainder of north elevation an outshut with a half-hipped 2-storey
building attached to the north-east corner, (formerly thatched but unroofed March 1986). On east gable of east wing a
4-light mullioned window with label to first floor. The south elevation of 3 bays has the projecting gable of crosswing
to bay 1, with proudstanding chimney stack and mullioned window to attic, with a 4 and a 3-light hollow chamfer.
Mullioned window to lower bays 2 and 3, with C20 casement to upper bay 2 and stairlight to left; marked straight joint
between bays 2 and 3; beaded mullioned window in return. Internally the north room of the west crosswing has two rough
beams formerly plastered over, and in west wall a possible old fireplace concealed by C20 insertion; the central lobby
has a later staircase possibly on the site of the original; and the south room has a 4-panel chamfer-beam ceiling, and
the window in the east wall has vertical iron and saddlebars, with rebates for shutters, and another suspected early
fireplace; the west room of the east wing has a modified fireplace with formerly a gable chimney, and a wattle-and-daub
partition into outshut on north side, and the beams are chamfered with keel stops. The east room of the east wing is an
addition; with second straight staircase, and keel-stopped beams with jettied arrangement to north wall. Not all the
roof trusses are accessible, but in the west crosswing the trusses are windbraced in at least part, and are carried on
the walls, not on crucks. It is suggested that this is a T-shaped house of the early C16, possibly all 2-storey but
alternatively with a 3-bay open ball; the east room of the east wing and some modifications of c1600, with further
modifications in the mid C18. To the north of the added room, and obscuring the jetty, a 2-storied building with one
C18 window having internal shutters, and a small stair window in the west wall, with brick-built oven in north wall:
there is said to be a well under the floor; this could be the successor to a detached kitchen. This property was the
Rectory House of Kingstone, and was given to the Vicars Choral of Wells Cathedral in 1382. In 1636 the house carried an
orchard, garden, two barns, a stable with outhouses and a great court with a pigeon house. By 1650 the accommodation is
described as hall, kitchen, buttery, and several 'lodging rooms' over, with one barn (q.v) of stone with thatched roof.
(VCH, Vol III, l974; VAG Report, unpublished SRO, March 1984).
Listing NGR: ST3781513669
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.