If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Monastery of St Gregory the Great, Downside Abbey with Petre Cloister
Date Listed: 25 June 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 268000
OS Grid Reference: ST6546850804
OS Grid Coordinates: 365468, 150804
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2554, -2.4962
Explore more of the area around Stratton on the Fosse, Somerset at Explore Britain.
In the entry for:
STRATTON-ON-THE-FOSSE FOSSE WAY
ST 65 SE (west side)
Cloister, Petre Cloister
to south and Refectory
forming a contiguous
group, Downside Abbey
The grade shall be amended to II*
and the address shall be amended to read:
ST 65 SE (west side)
Monastery of St Gregory
The Great, Downside
Abbey with Petre
and the description shall be amended to read
Monastery and attached cloister ranges. 1873. The south end not completed until
1899. By A M Dunn and E J Hansom. Bath stone ashlar with red tile roofs.
Rectangular double depth block with forward projecting wing where it adjoins
church and taller square tower at south end of range. Collegiate High Victorian
Gothic style. Main west front of three storeys and attics, the top two being a
later addition, also to the tower which is a full four storeys. 7 bay front made
up of projecting wing with gable and gable to return, two gabled bays, entrance
bay formed by half projecting octagonal tower with conical roof, two more gabled
bays and the tower, the bays separated by buttresses with offsets. The windows
are mainly of two narrow lights with trefoil heads and divided by a stone
mullion. The ground floor windows also have transom and hoodmould, transoms also
to the windows of the entrance tower and the top floor of the main tower. Central
bay to base of tower. Gables with stone verges and apex crosses. Battlements to
both tower parapets.
South front of tower is three bays with stair to right. East front has ground
floor treated as cloister, ten bays divided by buttresses, four gables and tower
above, with taller stair tower. Petre Cloister is single storey running from the
monastery to the school. Five light Perpendicular windows divided by buttresses.
Interior has plaster panels between ribs. Stained glass with coats of arms of
families connected with the community. Plainer cloister returns north to church
on east side but overbuilt by C20 buildings which are the guest wing of the
Abbey. Interior of monastery not inspected.
History: Built for a community of Benedictine monks founded at St Gregory's
monastery at Douai in Flanders in 1607, house re-established in England in 1795,
present estate purchased 1813.
STRATTON-0N-THE-FOSSE CP FOSSE WAY (West side)
13/202 Monastery, West Cloister, Petre
Cloister to south and Refectory
forming a contiguous group,
Downside Abbey and School
Monastery, West Cloister, Petre Cloister to south and Refectory; attached to Abbey Church of St Gregory The Great (qv).
Late C19 and early C20. Bath and Doulting stones, tile roofs. On south side of nave of Abbey Church, the monastery
building incorporating west cloister on ground floori 1872, extended in 1899, by A Dunn and C Hansom in C16 style; 5
front-facing gables, central emphasised pointed arch door opening, a turret over, 3 storeys and attic, 1:2:2:22:1 bays,
predominantly 2-light stone-mullioned windows, some transomed, some foiled heads; at south end of west cloister
extending east-west parallel to nave of Abbey Church. Circa 1925 by Sir G G Scott; Perpendicular, single storey, 10
bays, 2-light windows, flanking figures of angels. At east end of Refectory, late C19 by A Dunn and C Hansom in
Decorated style; 2 storeys and attic, salient feature e.batted polygonal turret to south, further turret at west end;
stone-mullioned windows of mainly 2-lights, gabled dormers. (Fitzgerald-Lo.bard Do C, A Guide to the Church of St
Gregory the Great Downside Abbey, 1981).
Listing NGR: ST6546650789
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.