If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: 47, 48, 49, 50 (Arch Cottage), 51 (Oriel Cottage), 53 and 54,
Date Listed: 25 February 1988
English Heritage Building ID: 268327
OS Grid Reference: ST6472543204
OS Grid Coordinates: 364725, 143204
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1870, -2.5061
Explore more of the area around Doulting, Somerset at Explore Britain.
1594/12/118 CHURCH LANE
25-FEB-88 (North side)
47, 48, 49, 50 (Arch Cottage), 51 (Ori
el Cottage), 53 and 54,
(Formerly listed as:
(Formerly listed as:
47, 48, 49, 50)
(Formerly listed as:
53 AND 54)
Row of seven former estate cottages. 1881 by G J Skipper for Sir Richard Paget of Cranmore Hall. They are of two storeys, built in a Tudor style. Of Doulting stone with freestone dressings, nos. 49-51 are of finer ashlar. Slate roofs with large axial stacks that have grouped polygonal shafts and moulded caps. It would appear that the row was built in several phases: Nos. 47-48 and 53-54 pre-date the central section (Nos. 49-51) which was erected in 1881. The outer cottages were probably re-fronted in a similar style at this time.
EXTERIOR: The fenestration consists of two-, three-, and four-light stone mullioned windows set below hood-moulds with label-stops. From west to east, the row can be described thus: Nos. 47-48 are each of three bays with a three-light mullioned window to either side of a central doorway, and each with four two-light windows to first floors. The central section (Nos. 49-51), of four bays, has an asymmetrical roadside elevation that projects forwards slightly. The third bay has angle buttresses and a front-facing gable; it has an oriel window with crenallated capping at first floor, and a throughway with four-centred arch opening below. The two end bays of the central section have gabled half-dormers with transom windows. A stone plaque in the left hand gable is carved with `1881'. The two cottages to the far right (Nos. 53-54) are each of two bays and differ from the other cottages in having four-centred arch-headed lights to each window, set below flat hood-moulds. In total there are five doorways, with plank doors, in the principal elevation; those for Nos. 50 and 51 are set within the throughway. The rear elevation is plainer in its architectural treatment. The windows consist mainly of two-light mullions with fairly simple surrounds, but some windows have been replaced or new ones inserted. C20 extensions have been built to the rear of Nos. 48, 51 and 53.
INTERIOR: There is thought generally to be a good survival of original features such as late C19 joinery and some good stone fireplaces. The plan form of the ground floor of each cottage is largely unaltered, although C20 rear extensions have been added to some of the cottages.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: To the rear of No. 49 is a single storey detached outbuilding. It is a plain, stone-built structure that is of lesser interest.
HISTORY: Nos. 47-54 Doulting forms part of a larger group of estate cottages built in Doulting in the late C19 for Sir Richard Paget. The architect was George John Skipper (1856-1948) of Norwich, and his illustration of the cottages was published in the periodical The Builder in 1889.
SOURCES: The Builder (24th August 1889)
REASON FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: Nos. 47, 48, 49, 50 (Arch Cottage), 51 (Oriel Cottage), 53 and 54,is of special interest for the following principal reasons:
* Its overall high level of architectural quality, particularly visible in its key external features.
* The terrace possesses good group value as it forms part of a wider group of estate cottages of similar date, style and quality.
* It contributes to the planned ensemble of which it forms a part.
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.