Description: The Market House
Date Listed: 4 June 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 269839
OS Grid Reference: ST2273424490
OS Grid Coordinates: 322734, 124490
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0146, -3.1028
1. THE PARADE
(in centre of Fore Street)
The Market House (formerly
listed as Market Buildings)
ST 2224 SE 11/13 4.6.52.
1770-72 by Copleston Warre Bampfylde, an amateur architect. Radically altered
in 1932 by H S W Stone. Centre block of 2 storeys plus attic and basement, originally
flanked by one storey arcaded open markets. New 2 storey wings added in 1932.
Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof. Pediment added to north front. Sill
band and string course under lst floor windows. 5 windows, sashes with glazing
bars. Central lst floor window has architrave surround and pediment on consoles.
Balustraded apron linked below to a rusticated round-headed doorway with cornice
on volutes. Semi-circular fanlight and 4-panel door. Wrought-iron spiked railings
flank doorway. Good building in key position.
No 1A Billet Street, No 66 the County Hotel the Brendon Bar and No ¨8¨ East Street,
form an important group with the listed buildings in Cheapside, Fore Street and the
Listing NGR: ST2273524495
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.