Description: Burma War Memorial to the North of the Market House
Date Listed: 4 July 1975
English Heritage Building ID: 269841
OS Grid Reference: ST2272824532
OS Grid Coordinates: 322728, 124532
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0150, -3.1029
ST 2224 SE FORE STREET
(in centre of roundabout)
04.07.75 Burma War Memorial to the
North of Market House
(Formerly listed as:
(in centre of Fore Street)
Burma War Memorial to the
East of The Market House)
Memorial to the dead of Prince Albert's Somersetshire Light Infantry. The Third Burmese War 1885-86-87. Ashlar Celtic cross with tapering shaft standing on a plinth of 3 high steps, Cross and shaft are decorated with chubby Celtic detail, mostly interlace with some foliage panels on south side. Names of main battle honours including Egypt, Burmah, Azim Curh, and Jellalabad are carved in thick letters towards the base. Full battle losses given by inset lead letters. Relocated to present location in 1996.
No 1A Billet Street, No 66, the County Hotel, the Brendon Bar, and No "8" East Street, form an important group with the listed buildings in Cheapside and Fore Street.
Listing NGR: ST2272824532
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.