If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 19 March 1962
English Heritage Building ID: 271610
OS Grid Reference: SJ8061210649
OS Grid Coordinates: 380612, 310649
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6932, -2.2883
Explore more of the area around Blymhill and Weston-under-Lizard, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.
SJ 81 SW WESTON UNDER LIZARD C.P. WESTON PARK.
4/41 Church of St. Andrew.
Parish Church. Mediaeval core to post-Reformation Tower with Nave, circa
1701 attributed to Lady Wilbraham, vestry and family chapel and pew by
Ewan Christian of 1876-7, restoration by Street, circa 1869. Red sandstone
ashlar, white to dressings; brown tile roof behind parapet, flat roofs to
tower and chapels. Nave without aisles, roofed continuously with chancel,
Chancel, West Tower, South Chapel and North Vestry. Entrance to Tower of
five stages, diagonal buttresses of four tiers to bottom stage; door of
1701 with arched head, keystone and bolection roll surround; two light
trefoil headed windows to first and third levels, single elsewhere; string
course and battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: Provincial
Baroque, originally of 4½ bays, two now, part screened by Chapel and Vestry,
divided by giant pilaster strips, on moulded plinth to pulvinated frieze,
cornice and blocking course, quoins and tall round arched windows to each
bay with keystone heads and moulded cills; East end retains C14 work, including
three light pointed window with reticulated tracery, dutch gable parapet over;
chapel and vestry, similar, to sides of East half of nave, 2-1-2 light windows
of byzantine style with labels over; priest's door to left. Interior: Nave of
two bays, chancel expressed by C19 arcaded sides of vestry and chapel; two
bays, pointed arches on squat circular columns with moulded capitals; unmoulded,
pointed arch to West of Nave; some C12 carved stones in South wall of Tower.
C19 ceiling of cove to wide boarded soffit and central barrel vault with
exposed trusses; coffered ceilings elsewhere; Pulpit: circa 1701, timber,
octagonal of uneven sides, carved panels with tester over; Font by G. E.
Street, circa 1869, circular, with engaged marble columns to base; early
C18 wrought iron communion rail with central coat of arms attributed to
Bakewell; C19 oak desk lectern on spiral stand and cinquefoil fretted
sides; C19 arcaded timber screen to South Chapel; Glass: East window by
Hardman, circa 1876 using some C14 panels, chapel window by Kempe, circa
1895, North West window in Nave is C17 Netherlandish. Monuments: To
commemorate ancestors, in Lady Wilbraham's building, these are mainly by
Sir William Wilson, possibly including painted wooden effigies in sanctuary
of Sir Hamo De Weston, D.1189 and Sir Hugh De Weston, both in arch recesses
with C18 inscriptions; also Baroque aedicules to East end, similar pair
flanking East window, marble and slate, Corinthian columns on plinth to
inscription tablet and broken segmental pediment and coat of arms in cartouche
to tympanum. Smaller similar trios of wall tablets to North and South sides
of sanctuary, naive Baroque with enrichments of fruit, cherubs and coats of
arms; two wall tablets also aedicular in Nave to Lady Newport of 1709 and
1725, Richard Newport of paired inscription to former, marble and slate,
corinthian pilasters cornice, broken at angles, bearing three flaming urns;
latter to North with triple layer grounds, swags and cherub below and
segmental pediment over with coat of arms; immediately to North, Arts and
Crafts memorial of painted stone to Richard Bridgeman, D.1917. Bridgeman
Chapel: East: Marble memorial to Countess of Bradford, D.1897 by J. Taylor;
bas relief reclining figure. South: Earl of Bradford, D.1825 by Hollins,
marble putto, torch sarcophagus, Earl of Bradford, D.1865, marble, Greek
revival, Countess of Bradford, D.1842 by Hollino, marble relief reclining
figure and angels over, Earl of Bradford, D.18OO by Rossi, marble relief
seated girl against segmental pediment. Painted hatchment in tower.
Listing NGR: SJ8061710650
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.