British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Hilton Hall, Hilton

Description: Hilton Hall

Grade: I
Date Listed: 16 May 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 271780

OS Grid Reference: SJ9521005184
OS Grid Coordinates: 395210, 305184
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6444, -2.0722

Location: Hilton, Staffordshire WV11 2AY

Locality: Hilton
Local Authority: South Staffordshire District Council
County: Staffordshire
Country: England
Postcode: WV11 2AY

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Hilton, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text

In the entry for:-


4/12 Hilton Park (formerly listed as
Hilton Hall)
the entry shall be amended to read:-


4/12 Hilton Hall




4/12 Hilton Park (formerly
16.5.53 listed as Hilton Hall)


Country House. Built for Henry Vernon circa 1720-30, possibly by Richard
Trubshaw. Later alterations included the addition of the second floor circa
1830, and the extension of the east and west wings towards the rear.
Red brick with painted ashlar and plaster dressing; hipped slate roof; brick
ridge stacks, in a provincial Baroque style. Principal alignment east-
west facing south, with east and west wings aligned north-south; the rear
extensions of the wings partially enclose a service courtyard. The building
was reorientated when the main south entrance was blocked and a new entrance
made in the east front. South front. 3 storeys, reduced proportions to
second floor; moulded plinth, rusticated giant corner pilasters capped by
urns, and a dentilled and moulded cornice beneath the second floor windows.
Recessed centre bay flanked by short wings; 3:5:3 bays, 12-pane glazing bar
sashes with aprons, gauged brick heads, and florid keystones which on the
ground floor rise into the aprons of the windows above, and which on the
first floor rise into the cornice. The centrepiece of the south front is
the entrance bay with flanking Corinthian pilasters and curved pediment complete
with urns, garlands and an achievement of arms. Central 2-leaf door with
rectangular overlight, engaged Corinthian columns, entablature incorporating
a raised key and a Borominesque split pediment decorated with ears of corn.
Both first and second floor windows have volutes and keystones with demonic
faces, the first floor windows are garlanded with flowers and fruit. West
front. Central break with quoins; 1:3:1 bays. Single-story, single-bay
extension to the left with giant corner pilasters, coped parapet and large
panelled brick ridge stack. Tri-partite plate glass sash with keystones,
central achievement of arms partly within a semi-circle which projects above
the parapet. East front. 5 bays; the central bay is plastered and painted
and has giant corner pilasters capped by urns. Large central porte cochère
of circa 1900 with semi-circular arches, moulded plinth, giant pilasters,
dentilled cornice and urns. The 2 windows above have volutes, scrolls and
carved keystones. C19 extension attached to right. Interior. The present
Entrance hall has a colonade of fluted Corinthian columns. Within the main
body of the house is the open well staircase of circa 1720-30 with open string
and carved tread ends, corkscrew twist balusters, fluted foot newel, ramped
handrail and panelled daub. Above the staircase is a plaster ceiling with
large oval panel surrounded by a border of trailing flowers. Early C18 dog-
leg service stiarcase with closed string, square panelled newels and turned
balusters. The dining room has floor to ceiling oak panelling and is lit
to the south by windows with panelled shutters and seats within the recesses,
all are flanked by console brackets. 2 niches to the south with fluted
pilasters, and a polished limestone recess to the west with semi-circular
arch and Corinthian pilasters, containing a wine cooler, Vernon coat of arms
in place of a keystone. Polished limestone fireplace to the north with
bolection moulded surround. Small front room to the west with early C19
marble fireplace and one wall with panelling. The drawing room. Oak pan-
elling with Corinthian pilasters and dentilled cornice. Panelled window
shutters and fireplace with bolection moulded surround. On the first floor
a south facing bedroom has an early C19 marble fireplace, an C18 plaster
frieze with Greek key and acanthus leaf design, and an C18 plaster ceiling
rose. To the north is another bedroom with plaster frieze of acanthus leaf
and flowers and a plaster ceiling rose. The tentative attribution to Richard
Trubshaw is based on the similarities between Hilton Park and Trubshaw's
now demolished Emral Hall, Flintshire, and the fact that Trubshaw worked
for Henry Vernon at Hilton in 1743. An early C19 sketch depicts Hilton
Park as a 2-storeyed building and proves that the second floor is a later
addition even though it is in an identical style to the lower storeys.
B.o.E. pp. 146-7; Colvin pp. 841-2; Staffordshire Historical Collections
(1942-3), 'Staffordshire Views' Nos. 1216 and 1217.

Listing NGR: SJ9521005184

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.