British Listed Buildings

History in Structure

If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.

We need to upgrade the server that this website runs on. Can you spare a quid to help?.

Church of St Peter, Elford

Description: Church of St Peter

Grade: II*
Date Listed: 20 November 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 272565

OS Grid Reference: SK1852310609
OS Grid Coordinates: 418523, 310609
Latitude/Longitude: 52.6929, -1.7274

Location: Old Hall Dr, Elford, Staffordshire B79 9DA

Locality: Elford
Local Authority: Lichfield District Council
County: Staffordshire
Country: England
Postcode: B79 9DA

Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!

Explore more of the area around Elford, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.

Listing Text


10/78 Church of St. Peter

GV 11*

Parish church of medieval foundation, tower of 1598 but mostly rebuilt
1848-9 by Anthony Salvin, in a style of circa 1290, additions of 1869-
70 by G.E. Street. Ashlar; slate and lead covered roofs with coped
verges. West tower with diagonal buttresses and semi-octagonal stair
turret to the south, 3-bay nave with south aisle and porch and 2-bay
chancel with south and north chapels. West tower: dated AND / 1598 ;
4 stages marked by strings; crenellated parapet with crocketed corner
pinnacles, first stages has a 3-light pointed west window with cusped
intersecting tracery; the second stage has a rectangular loop to the
west and north, the third stage has a 2-light pointed west window with
Decorated style tracery and returned hood mould, belfry openings of 2
trefoil-headed lights surmounted by a quatrefoil and beneath a semi-
circular head. Nave: 1848-9; pointed windows, those to centre and
west on north side have cusped intersecting tracery, the north-east
window has 2 cinquefoil headed lights with a trefoil over, all have
hood moulds terminating in heads. South aisle: 1869-70, crenellated
parapet, pointed windows, that to the south-east has 3 lights and cusped
intersecting tracery, that to south-centre has Decorated style tracery,
west window with 3 trefoil-headed lights and cusped circles in the
head; gabled porch with pointed doorway, 2 double-ogee moulded orders
on cylindrical nook shafts with moulded capitals and bases, niche above
containing an angel. Chancel: 1848-9 pointed east window of 3 lights
and tracery above consisting of radiating mouchettes, pointed north
window of 2 cinquefoil headed lights and Decorated style tracery.
South chapel: 1869-70; plain parapet, pointed windows with cusped inter-
secting tracery, door to south-west with cinquefoiled head, pointed west
window of 3 trefoil headed lights and cusped circles over. North chapel:
1848-9; Caernarvon arch door to the west, 2-light pointed window to
the north with quatrefoil in the head and returned hood mould, 2 single-
light windows to the east. Interior: nave arcade of double hollow
chamfered pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals;
pointed and double chamfered tower arch; high pointed chancel arch with
roll and fillet and quarter roll and fillet mouldings, on engaged columns
with broad fillet moulding and moulded capitals bearing carved foliage
painted gold; pointed south chapel arch with roll and fillet and quarter
roll and fillet mouldings, clustered engaged columns with fillet moulded
shafts and moulded capitals, hood mould terminating in leaf and flower
carved stops; chancel arcade of pointed arches with deep hollow chamfer
and octagonal columns with leaf carved capitals painted gold; scissor
braced nave roof with braces springing from carved stone corbels; arch
braced collar root to south aisle with cusping inbetween collar and
principals, paired wavy wind braces, principals spring from carved stone
corbels; chancel has an arch-braced collar roof, the braces springing
from short cantilevered beams supported on gold painted carved brackets
which are, in turn, supported on stone corbels carved as angels; arch
braced collar roof to south chapel, the braces have roll and fillet
moulding and carved fleurons, and spring from wooden corbels carved as
angels, cusped wind braces forming circles, cusping between collar and
principals. Fittings: C19 stone font on pedestal of clustered octagonal
columns with moulded capitals and bases, heavily ornamented basin carved
with crocketed ogee-headed panels and angels, pinnacled tabernacle font
cover; C15 wooden door to west end with blind cinquefoil headed panels;
wooden pulpit, octagonal, richly carved with scenes from the life of
Christ, brass hand rail and balustrade; C19 benches with carved poppy
heads; late C19 communion rail, highly decorative, brass with wooden
hand rail. Monuments: restored by E. Richardson in 1848: South
chapel: (Stanley chapel) Knight of circa 1370, alabaster, with bogus
Gothic inscription by Richardson to Sir John Stanley, died 1474,
recumbent effigy with feet on a dog, chest tomb beneath with cusped
panels bearing shields; Sir Thomas Arderne, died 1391, and wife,
alabaster, 2 recumbent figures, Sir Thomas in full armour with his feet
on a lion, chest tomb with cinquefoil-headed panels with mourners and
angels,. some hold shields; John Stanley, killed circa 1460 on being
struck by a tennis ball, recumbent effigy of a child with his feet on a
dog, the face and hair late C13 in style and inspired by the so-called
effigy of Jean, son of Louis IX, at Saint-Denis; Sir William Smythe,
died 1525, and two wives, 3 recumbent effigies, Sir William in armour
with his head resting on a helmet and his feet on a lion, chest tomb
heavily decorated with effigies of monks standing beneath canopies.
Choir: William Staunton, circa 1450, only the upper and lower thirds
are carved and are sunk, the centre is plain. Stained glass: west
window by Wailes, 1841; south aisle west circa 1525, Netherlandish;
Stanley Chapel east window by Ward and Hughes, 1870. B.o.E. p.p.

Listing NGR: SK1852310609

This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.

Source: English Heritage

Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.