If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Croxall Hall and Attached Garden Wall
Date Listed: 9 February 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 272781
OS Grid Reference: SK1967013750
OS Grid Coordinates: 419670, 313750
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7210, -1.7102
Explore more of the area around Edingale, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.
SK 11 SE EDINGALE C.P. CROXALL
1/29 Croxall Hall and attached
9.2.53 garden wall (formerly listed
as Croxall Hall and dovecote)
Large house. Late C16, restored and enlarged in 1868 by Joseph Potter
of Lichfield. Red brick (English bond) with sandstone ashlar dressings;
plain tile roofs with coped verges on shaped kneelers; brick end stacks
and ridge stacks, some with C16 octagonal shafts. Formerly a U-shaped
house with hall range of 2 parallel blocks aligned east-west facing
north and wings to the east and west enclosing 3 sides of a northern
courtyard, the west wing was destroyed by fire in 1942. Service extensions
of 1868 are attached to the north-east corner of the east wing and enclose
3 sides of a northern courtyard. The C16 garden wall is attached to
these buildings and extends northwards for approximately 150 yards.
The C16 details are entirely Gothic. Main house: north front: hall
range to the right, east wing at right angles to e left. Hall range:
2 storeys on coped plinth; 1:1:1 bays, central gabled 2 storey porch
and central 4-centred arch door with ogee and hollow chamfer moulding
and a returned hood mould; 2 shields above, to left and right, first
floor window of 4 transomed lights with chamfered mullions and transom
and returned hood mould, blind quatrefoil in the gable. To each side
of the porch are 2 ground floor windows of 3 lights and one first floor
window of 5-lights, all windows have hollow chamfered mullions and transoms,
the ground floor windows have returned hood moulds. East wing: 2 storeys;
1:1:1 bays, central gabled break. Transomed windows of 5 lights to
ground floor left and of 3 lights to first floor left and right, the
2 latter are partly within small gables and have blind shields over.
Mullioned windows of 2 lights to ground floor , of 3 lights to ground
floor right and first floor centre and of 5 lights to ground floor right
of centre. Windows to centre and to ground floor left have returned
hood moulds, those to first floor left and right have straight hood
moulds. South front: 2 storeys on coped plinth with first floor and
eaves bands; 2:1:2 bays, central gabled break dominated by a 2-storey
bay window with crenellated parapet. The lights of the ground floor
windows are in a rhythm of 5:2:6:2:5, those of the first floor windows
3:2:6:2:3, there is an extra single light first floor window to the
centre of the right-hand side. Corner stack to the right with C19 star
shaped shafts. Service courtyard: single-storey central range flanked
by projecting wings to left and right. Central range: 1:1:1 bays, central
gabled break. Transomed windows of 4 lights to centre and of 3 lights
to the right, 2-light mullioned window and square head door to the left.
Left hand range: 4-light transomed window to right of centre, segmental
head door to left, square head door to right, block door to left of
centre. Right hand range: 4-centred arch door to the left; the range
is terminated to the right by an octagonal building with mullioned windows
and hipped roof surmounted by a weather vane. Attached to the north
side of this building is a C16 brick garden wall with stone coping,
incorporating a doorway to the south with Tudor arch, sunken spandrels,
double hollow chamfered surround and returned hood mould; towards the
centre is a garden gateway flanked by square piers with moulded caps
and ball finials. Interior: C16 plaster ceiling in the hall range;
square panels with rounded lobes, some containing pendants, others a
central rose, the border decorated with foliage and fruit. In the same
room 2 C19 stone fireplaces.
Listing NGR: SK1967013750
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.