Church of St Michael and All Angels, Hamstall Ridware
Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Date Listed: 27 February 1964
English Heritage Building ID: 272882
OS Grid Reference: SK1056519346
OS Grid Coordinates: 410565, 319346
Latitude/Longitude: 52.7716, -1.8448
Location: Blithbury Road, Hamstall Ridware, Staffordshire WS15 3RS
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
Explore more of the area around Hamstall Ridware, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.
HAMSTALL RIDWARE C.P. BLITHBURY ROAD (north-
SK 1019-1119 east side)
Church of St. Michael
27.2.64 and All Angels
Parish church. Mainly C14 and C15 incorporating some C12 fragments.
Sandstone ashlar; low pitch, leaded covered roofs. West Tower, 3-bay
nave with side aisles, 2-bay chancel with north chapel; and a south chapel
and vestry. West tower. Early C14. 3 stages with diagonal buttresses,
plain parapet and recessed spire with 3 tiers of lucarnes. Pointed west door
with ogee-moulded surround and hood mould. Belfry openings of 2 trefoil-
headed lights with sunken spandrels, beneath a flat arch. Nave. C12
west wall. Late C15 clerestorey: 4-centred arch windows with Y-tracery
and concave quarter round-moulded jambs and mullions; continuous hood mould.
C15 north aisle: square-headed windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights with
ogee and concave quarter round-moulded surrounds, and sunken spandrels.
Continued to the east as the north chapel: C18 windows to north and east
with semi-circular arches, raised keystones, moulded architraves and leaded
glass. North doorway with similar details. On the east wall is an aedicule
with bracketed open pediment, commemorating Joseph Riley, died 1759.
C14 south aisle: square headed windows of 3 trefoil-headed lights with
sunken spandrels. Similar window of 2-lights in the south wall of the
south chapel, and plain rectangular loops in the south and east walls.
Mid-C19 gabled south porch of rock-faced ashlar with yellow dressings and
plain tile roof with fishscale tile bend. Early C14 chancel with pointed
east window of 4 trefoil-headed lights and cusped intersecting tracery.
Interior. Nave arcade has pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders on octagonal
columns with moulded capitals. At the west end of the north aisle are
the remains of an earlier, blocked arch, probably a window. Tall pointed
and chamfered tower arch, and above it a C12 window, blocked by the west
tower. There is no chancel arch. C15 roof over the nave with moulded
ridge piece, purlins and tie hems; the latter are cambered and supported
on brackets. Aisle roofs with moulded ridge pieces and tie beams. The
north aisle roof is inscribed 16 RO: IR 69. 2-bay chancel arcade of
pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals. On the south
side a C16 tomb recess has been inserted. C14 piscina with trefoiled
head and sunken spandrels in the south wall, partly destroyed by the tomb
recess. In the south wall of the south chapel are the remains of a staircase
which led to a former rood loft. At loft level is a doorway between south
chapel and chancel. Fittings. C19 stone font; octagonal with concave
diagonals. C19 wooden pulpit; panels carved with grapes and vine leaves.
early to mid-C16 north chapel screen; Perpendicular, incorporating two
medallions containing putti. Late C15 south chapel screen with central
Tudor arch and open traceried panels. At the east end of the south chapel
is a plank and muntin partition separating it from the vestry. The muntins
have roll-moulded edges. C15/C16. Monument. Richard and John Cotton,
1502. Chest tomb with cusped panels containing heraldic shields. The
tomb is beneath a four-centred arch recess between chancel and south chapel.
Stained Glass. C14 fragments incorporated in one of the south chapel
windows. 3 early C16 north aisle windows. Several windows of the late
C19/C20. At the time of the resurvey (September 1986) 2 late C15 painted
panels which had been incorporated into the reredos, had been removed for
restoration work. B.o.E. pp. 139-40.
Listing NGR: SK1057019357
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.