If you log in, you can comment on buildings, submit new photos or update photos that you've already submitted.
Description: Betley Court, Dovecote, and Forecourt Walls and Gates
Date Listed: 13 September 1976
English Heritage Building ID: 273311
OS Grid Reference: SJ7535048398
OS Grid Coordinates: 375350, 348398
Latitude/Longitude: 53.0323, -2.3690
Explore more of the area around Betley, Staffordshire at Explore Britain.
BETLEY C.P. MAIN STREET (west side)
10/32 Betley Court, dovecote,
and forecourt wails and
gates (formerly listed
13.9.76 as Betley Court; dovecote,
former stable block, fore-
court, grill and gates
Large house, dovecote, walls and gates. Built in 1716 for John Craddock;
late C18 additions by George Wilkinson; alterations of 1809 by John Nash;
late C19 and early C20 alterations and additions by William Douglas Care.
Red and bluechequered brickwork; hipped slate roofs; brick ridge stacks.
Roughly square early C18 core facing east. Wilkinson added 2 bows to
the south front in 1783 and a north-western wing in 2 phases in 1793 and
1797 and Nash added a third bow to the south front. Caroe built south-
west and north-east wings in the late C19 and remodelled the east porch
in the 1920's. East front: 2 storey 5-bay front articulated by a first
floor band and giant pilasters. Breaking through the moulded eaves cornice
is a taller 3-bay centrepiece; the parapet with moulded coping is swept
up over a central achievement of arms and is surmounted by 5 urn finials.
Late C19 four-pane sashes within C18 openings with gauged brick heads.
The late C19 porch was remodelled in the 1920's by Caroe: 2 storeys,
3 bays central entrance bay with raised key and lintel grooved as voussoirs,
and narrow flanking bays of similar character. Above is a glazing bar
sash window and flanking niches containing statuettes; ramped sides and
moulded stone cornice. 2 storey bows to each return of the main house.
Set back to the right is Caroe's north-east wing: polychromatic brickwork
and hipped roof. 3 storeys; reduced proportions to second floor. 2
bays of glazing bar sashes and a central lateral stack. In front of
the C18 house is a courtyard enclosed by early C18 "wrought iron gates
with elaborately worked panels and overthrow, the latter incorporating
a wreathed monogram; short sections of railings to each side with scrolled
crestings; cast iron stanchions. Flanking low brick walls with stone
coping which formerly carried iron railings are terminated to left and
right by square C19 gate piers. Side walls sweep round to the house
and incorporate smaller pairs of gate piers. South front: floor band
and eaves cornice continue along this 3:4:3 window front which incorporates
a conical roofed 2-storey bow at each end. Central single-storey bow
by Nash with 3 French casements, moulded cornice and flat roof; otherwise
C19 four-pane sashes within C18 openings. 2-bay south-west wing by Carse
attached to the left with similar windows to those of the main house.
West elevation: Wilkinson's late C18 north-west wing is of red brick
and has a slate roof, hipped to the left. 3 storeys, reduced proportions
to second floor; dentilled eaves band. 8 bays of C19 sashes in C18 openings
with gauged heads. A single storey octagonal building with C18 glazing
bar sashes projects forward to the left. Projecting forward to the right
is Caroe's south-west wing: 2 storeys with hipped roof; square bay window
to ground floor with moulded stone cornice, and a single 4-pane sash to
the first floor. Beyond Wilkinson's range to the left is a 2 storey,
4-bay brick range of various dates which links the house to the dovecote.
The dovecote is late C17/early C18. Red brick with blue brick headers
(Flemish bond); hipped slate roof and octagonal cupola with lead covered
dome and iron weathervane. It has oval lights at first floor level and
a moulded eaves cornice. Interior: early C18 Imperial staircase of oak
with open string and carved tread ends, fluted balusters and wreathed
hand rail. The stairwell has wall panelling and plaster ceiling by Caroe.
The 3 ground floor rooms of the south side of the house have plaster cornices.
Listing NGR: SJ7535048398
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.