Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 19 December 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 275413
OS Grid Reference: TM1635844118
OS Grid Coordinates: 616358, 244118
Latitude/Longitude: 52.0532, 1.1542
TM 10644 SW COLLEGE STREET
Church of St Peter
A C14 and C15 church flint and stone with stone dressings and a fine Cl5 knapped flint tower with stone dressings and corner buttresses, some 10Oft high. The church was considerably restored in the late C19 and the upper stage of the tower was rebuilt in the C20. The interior has a fine C12 black Tournai marble font with animal carving and an early C17 brass to John Knapp, 'Merchant and portman of this towne of Ipswich', dated 1604. This church adjoined the priory of SS Peter and Paul, suppressed in 1527 and given to Cardinal Wolsey, who founded his own college on the site.
The Church of St Peter, the Gateway to Wolsey's College of St Mary, Nos 1 to 5 (odd) and No 4 form a group.
Listing NGR: TM1635844118
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.